Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When getting the boat in shape each spring I've generally used 3M Cleaner/Wax for the all surfaces that don't get walked on (topsides, coaming, splash well, etc) and 3M Color Restorer on the cockpit deck and foredeck because I didn't want to make the deck more slippery than necessary. However, the Color Restorer is a bit more abrasive than the Cleaner/Wax and for 38 year old gelcoat that's something to consider.

So, my Q to you all is what product(s) do you use to clean, protect, etc (make them shine) the deck(s) on your boats. All input would be much appreciated.

Bob
Grady 20

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Gary. I've heard people talk about Woody Wax but never tried it. Like the idea of a cheaper alternative. Will check it out.

Bob
Grady 20

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fluid Film works great. As for wax/cleaners I use Collonite liquid cleaner wax followed up with 2 coats of Collonite paste wax. Lasts all season. Be careful with the paste wax and only do a small area at a time. I made the mistake of applying it on the entire side of our 25' boat at one time. It set up so hard I had to dampen it down and use the buffer to buff it out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I will give my vote to the star brite non skid deck cleaner with PTFE. I put a trigger spray on the bottle to get much more value out of the larger bottle they sell. It makes it much easier to apply on the deck too. They just put a stupid spout cap on it and it wastes a bottle quickly. I use at the end of every trip and all the dirt, blood and grime come of easily after repeated use.

I tried fluid film in the past and felt it left a waxy residue that I didn't find appealing, which makes sense because I think it's mostly paraffin wax.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Aurora "Sure Step" ;auroramarine.com, has a lotof good reviews for no slip function. It is common thread though to do small areas at a siting rather than the whole thing. My tub is sitting on the counter waiting for me to just do it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx all. Looks like I've got some research to do.

On the subject of doing too big an area at once ... Did that once, and only once, on my first car 40 some years ago. It felt like I was trying to buff out concrete! Never thought to try wetting it, I just polished and polished and polished ... Lesson learned.

Bob
Grady 20

·
Registered
278 Posts
On this topic, what are the opinions on using diluted bleach on gelcoat? I've found it good for cleaning large areas, but have always had concerns about any long term effect it may have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts