Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is nothing on the net on catching fiddler crabs. I know about digging for them (too much work) and digging a hole and putting a deep cup or pcv tube in with a bottom. But does anyone have any other ideas on fiddler traps

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah..your hands.

They feed at low tide, they live above the high tide mark. When the tide is low you get between them and the grass. Then start picking.

Picking them up with your hands has got to be the best way to get them because all the guys that catch them for the bait shops do it this way. I see them up in Jones Creek alot out in the marsh in waders picking up fiddler crabs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can catch fish with my hands too, but there must be an easier way, and evidently there isn't cause I found something on dogpile that expounds on the hands technique.

There is an art to catching fiddlers, but once someone teaches you, it really isn’t very hard. When a whole herd of crabs are out on the flat and away from their holes, dig a 2-foot deep by three feet in diameter hole in the sand. Take several 1 by 8 or 1 by 6 boards eight feet in length, and place them on their narrow side in the sand, end to end away from the hole. The idea here is to make a 2 dimensional funnel on the sand out of the boards with the bottom of the funnel ending in the hole you just dug. If you used four boards, you would have a 16-foot long v-shaped funnel in the sand.

Now slowly begin to round up the crabs and herd them toward the funnel. Of course, the more boards you use, the larger the funnel is, and the easier the herding is. As you move the herd toward and into the funnel, they drop off into the hole you dug. Assuming relative safety there, they will stay in the hole long enough for you to cover it and prevent their escape.

Most of the places that I see fiddlers don't offer that much room though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts