Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three lay days I woke up this morning to the wind frapping a tree against my bedroom window and 25kts screaming out of the north. To be honest, when I got to the boat I was less than thrilled and it did not help matters to see Run Off and Energizer with no one home. After explaining the conditions to our charter they decided they could handle it so who was I to argue if they wanted to shell out the big bucks for a fish of a lifetime. The ride out was plesently smooth and the first line hit the water while the full moon was still glowing the brightest this planet has seen in a hundred years. As the sun started to poke through, the wind really began to whip and things turned snotty pretty quickly. Aside from the gannets bombing my long riggers the morning was pretty uneventfull and before I knew it Shane had stuck a course away from the fleet following a hunch. Around 10:45 I had made my way up the bridge with a Hot Pocket in one hand and a Coke in the other to shoot the **** for a minute and catch up on the radio chatter. While chugging down the last of my Coke the the short planner went off and caught me totally off gaurd. NYFD would have been proud of how fast I got down those steps and was on that rod. After clearing everything and getting the angler in position, it was no time before Shane had us up and down and the leader was on the reel. Because the water was so dirty we never saw the fish until it surfaced right at the transom. When he popped up we knew he would be a close one so we traded the Poon for the swimming hook and eased him in the boat for a measurment . After determining he was legal (74inches) we got a tail rope on him and with the swimming hook still in him we slid him back out try to cool him down. If you have never seen or used one of South Chatam's swimming hooks let me tell you, they are the only way to make sure that tuna is yours at the back of the boat. When that gate closes over its jaw and you have it cleated off you can go make yourself a sandwich cause his ass is yours. To sum it up, what started out as an iffy morning turned into a great day with a great charter and Fight N Lady getting her 4th tuna of the season. I will post pictures provideing the guys email them to me. Looks likes we will be after them for the next several days so keep an eye out for another report.

Morehead City Charter Fishing - Morehead City Offshore Fishing

1 - 1 of 1 Posts