1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grey Wood Beak Fish Plant
Food Fish Fin Tail Water

25.75 inches

With the exception of a 33 incher, this was fish was the best fight I ever had fishing from shore. It explodes out of the water on the first hit, tail slaps the second and third, and finally gets hooked with 3 points penetrated along its mouth. It did take at least 15 yards of drag even with me following the fish with 4 spurts of speed. I also had to steer it away from structure before leadering it in.

That measuring board ends at 25 inches......added the measuring tape for the .75.

I do know somewhere who landed a 30 incher but he does not know about this tournament. For me, this fall has been a disappointment in comparison to last fall.

I did not compete last year but had fish of the following length: 29, 26.75, 26- had several 26er's
I had buddies that fished with me landing fish at 29 and 27.
I had a 30 on November 7.

The good news is that topwater will likely last for another 10 days with the current weather forecast.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Nice going Brian -- that is a fat fish. I did not enter the tournament, but fished in the Severn and its tributaries many times this month. I found a 26" striper in a location not too far from where you fish, as well as several at 24". There were many 18-20" fish in the Severn tributaries this month. I caught stripers of at least 18" in 4 separate tributaries by light tackle trolling and casting. It has been a good fall for near shore fishing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congratulations, Brian! Not only did you win it all, but with a huge margin. Amazing that we could run all up and down the river and you fish your one spot from shore and pull in all those big fish. I guess we can all learn something from that!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure I am going to get those online lurkers cruising into my spot over the next 2 weeks. However, I will point out the following:

-These fish had to come in from the bay......they aren't there by magic.

-Good luck finding them on the fish finder when the water is that shallow.......There are no breakers.

-I had to fish 4 different spots within a 6 mile radius of my living area to dial in on any sort of consistency. They are far enough apart to where I cannot hit all but one of the following during the prime bite period.

-Of all the boats that wandered into my hitting range (85 yards on actual lures, 110 yards+ with 2 oz torpedo sinkers), only 1 managed to sneak out with 1 fish.

-These fish are easily spooked on calm days. I even stalked one yesterday walking along the shoreline(about 20 inches)- didn't have a rod- but as soon as it saw me, it swim far away.

-The bite window is short- sometimes 5 casts or less. Fish do not really school like breaker conditions but rather cruise through in small groups.

Generally, I simply ask for boat guys to skip the area if you see somewhere fishing the shoreline first. That is just common courtesy.

If you are that desperate to find fish in the river or unable to do so from a boat, take me with you! :yes:
This is my last fall on the Severn. Hopefully, I will be yak fishing through Florida next year.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Brian Congrats! You had some quality fish that you were catching this month, you have definitely dialed in the October/November fish over the last few years at the Academy.

But I will say that I personally know of bigger fish that were caught in the river no where near you, but they were not in the Tournament. None of the fish I caught this month was chasing birds. I don't chase them in the bay or the river.

I'm also surprised that an upper 20's to 30" plus fish wasn't posted. I know that some of these anglers in the club annually catch bigger fish but that early Nor Easter (In which your first few posted fish were caught in) threw a monkey wrench in the river. Many go to spots were ghost towns.

Again Congrats! :thumbup:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As expected, I saw a boat cruising through my territory this evening casting lures. I wasn't fishing but simply walking back home. I also saw 2 schools of menhaden swimming out into the river. I will keep fishing until it is over.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congrats Brian

As expected, I saw a boat cruising through my territory this evening casting lures. I wasn't fishing but simply walking back home. I also saw 2 schools of menhaden swimming out into the river. I will keep fishing until it is over.
Nice going on the 25" Severn rockfish! I have enjoyed reading your posts....don't feel sorry for you that you will be kayak fishing in Florida after graduation!! Maybe you can guide some of us s
Severn anglers down there on our Florida winter trips....just a thought...

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts