Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went fishing late yesterday afternoon and dragged my butt all the way over to the Eastern Shore eeling. Did that for about 2 hours and nothing yet.

Spoke to a guy on the radio and he said to troll deep lures on the way back across around the 4th island. Only had 1 deep lure – Stretch 30+ - so I hooked that up to a trolling pole and did a 2.5 knot crawl back once I got near the 12 mile marker.

Now I’m fishing alone and its dark and cold. I had the deep lure in and then I decided to troll a surface plug also that goes maybe down 5-10’ for schoolies. Well, the deep lure hits and it’s a big fish. As soon as I pulled on the pole, I could feel the weight. Luckily I was inside the bay so when I left the helm, I knew I would drift away from the pilings. Sometimes, I’m smart…. Anyway, the fish is running and then I say, sh-t – the other lure is still in the water and that’s a disaster. Put the boat back in gear and try to hold 2 poles and get the small lure out. I did and threw the pole into the boat and naturally the lure landed inside the net which I hoped it use in a few minutes. Sh*t – let the drag loose on the small pole and just stuck it in the holder.

Got the fish to the boat, pick up the net with the other lure in it – all tangled now with treble hooks and get the big boy to the boat. Landed it - 39 pounds. Big fish.

Unless the line would have broken, I wouldn’t have lost the big fish. It was hooked in the mouth and the second treble was hooked near the gill plate.

Sometimes ya just get lucky :) Wanted a picture but by the time I got home - the wife and kids were asleep.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Very Cool

Jon,

Nice Going! :bigfish::bigfish::bigfish:

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia
Stripers Forever

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
way to be in the right place @ the right time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts