Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--Good Morning Maryland!--Sorry lost the Headline Line in my copy & Paste , But I pass on this little Tit Bit for my TF Family to Digest & Discect , Maybe it will bring out of the Closet, some of the ones that Usta use TF to better thier posision on Bay Affairs & the Rode off into the Sunset , To the world of P M 's & Inter Sangtum Politics--In my long life of Believing in Boosting the Little man , Rooting for the Underdog , I have Never, Never seen so many go underground on issues pertaning to Bay Matters --Mr Blackistone has Finally come forward & Written from the Heart , He like Myself is " Mad as Hell & won't take it any more "--Heck I may go out back & hollar to World those words for the All to Hear , when I get off here --I Challenge the Dnr Boys, Robert, Chum , Crow , JPW, Capt. Rich,Ele & all to read this Carefully & have the Guts to come back & express thier Thoughts like the days of yesteryear --If **** hasent hit the Nail on the Head on this one , i'll Kiss yer tail & give ya an hour to draw a Crowd"---Read it well, Insert your OWN personal intrest in the bay , where the Word Waterman is ---We All are Watermen, in the Sence of the word ---I THINK THIS Sentance, is the summation of how most of us feel -- -----"Too many folks in the bay community are frustrated by politically driven regulations, policies, laws and funding. And far too many studies have gone on too long without results, answers or action."

---Sorry for my Personal Observations , But its how I feel about this Very Important ISSUE , & this is my brief time on a Warm Soapbox this Morning --Thanks for giving me an Opperunity to express my frustations--Geo.

--------------------------------------- Thumbs Up ****-------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------
Annapolis
AnnapolisBy **** BLACKISTONE For The Capital
Published November 18, 2008
The two largest industries in the state are agriculture and the horse industry on the one hand, and the marine industry, commercial and recreational, on the other.
Thousands of jobs and small businesses, direct and ancillary, depend on these private-sector domains.

Agriculture is being swallowed up by development and the horse industry has fallen prey to a lack of revenue. The slot machine referendum passed because state and local budgets are at rock bottom. But an infusion of new money will also help keep the horse industry alive, saving farms from development and keeping thousands of small businesses open and their employees working.

Perhaps, to some small degree, in a few years the agriculture sector may not feel like it is trying to roll a ball up a mountain, and the rhetoric about "saving the family farm" won't be a meaningless cliche.

Similarly, there has been almost a decade of endless rhetoric pouring out of the mouths of politicians, bureaucrats, environmentalists and others who are supposed to be concerned about improving the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem and preserving the traditions of Maryland watermen. It has left me scratching my head in disillusionment.

Who is really helping the bay, the policymakers or the watermen and their families, and the countless people who depend on fresh seafood from our waters? Very few of our policymakers are helping.

A novel from decades ago was entitled, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me." This could describe too many watermen and their families, and mother bay herself.

We have seen little improvement in bay water quality and little progress toward the 10-year goals to improve the bay's condition. The federal government has criticized the entire effort and questioned what has been going on.

With huge amounts of grant money allocated, making environmental groups wealthy, water quality is sliding backward. We have seen no improvement in aquatic vegetation or the oyster population, and no movement toward putting nonnative oysters in the water.

There are bans on clamming and on yellow perch fishing, and restrictions on crab harvests. Funding for a successful crab hatchery program has been cut off. Watermen and their families are drowning in a tough economy in which their income is being cut out from under them by their "advocates."

My state senator, for example, couldn't find her way to south county to visit farmers or watermen if she had a map. There are too many political advocates like her.

Perhaps the politicians, bureaucrats and environmental groups can keep taking the grant money and doing their research and studies and let watermen have their fisheries back.

They can keep taking all the political contributions from self-indulgent groups that use rhetoric as if they cared and at the same time silently stab the commercial fishing industry in the back and push the watermen aside. They ignore the famed Dr. Rita Caldwell, who once said that, when dealing with the plight of the oysters, "perhaps we should listen to the watermen."

Too many folks in the bay community are frustrated by politically driven regulations, policies, laws and funding. And far too many studies have gone on too long without results, answers or action.

Citizens are frustrated by the failing water quality of the bay and the difficulty of getting local seafood for their tables. Watermen and their families are frustrated by not knowing where their next paycheck will come from and what new restrictions will be placed on them for political or selfish reasons.

I've spent more than 30 years fighting for the marine industry and the commercial watermen and observing the farming and horse industry. I don't pretend to know all the answers and I won't endorse throwing in the towel.

I won't ever give up hope that there are true advocates for the little people. But sometimes I think that this time David may not beat Goliath - unless government and politicians soon begin to "listen to the watermen" with more than deaf ears.

---

The writer is chairman of the county Maritime Industry Advisory Board.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Since you complained about lack of response...

....on the Virginia Board, I thought I'd toss in a couple of cents here. This was an example of a pointless article. There were so many biased statements and flights of fancy, that it is a waste of time to respond to them. Seemed like a lot of whining, and no attempts at presenting any useful, factual information.

Like it's a surprise to anyone over the age of 16 that policies and regulations are political. Unfortunately for every person in the "bay community", which according to the article includes just farmers, and watermen, that feel that regulations and policies are too stringent, there are a lot more in the larger "bay interest group" that think that the rules are too lax.

Whoever said that the goal of politicians, environmentalists, and bureaucrats was to preserve the traditional way of life of the watermen?

Mr. Blakiston is the representative of a special interest group. It is no surprise that he would be writing such an article. The only surprise is that it is so poorly written.

Sorry Capt., this probably isn't the response you wanted.

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
I think the paid lobbyists are the biggest problem.When common sense tells everyone to slack off Oysters/Crabs/Yellow Perch/etc - it seems IMHO that nothing is done until it is too late.

Everyone knows oysters do a great job filtering our bay water yet they are still being harvested.Makes no sense to take out these important filter feeders.Pollution in the water is a real concern - leaving the oysters to clean the water makes more sense then taking them.

Back in 1982 - I was crabbing all summer and saving up money to buy an oyster boat over on Kent Island.My father had a long talk with me about my future and steered me away from the job I would have loved to do (work the bay).He foresaw the tough times ahead for watermen.That year the bay froze over tight so I took a job in construction.Stayed with it and have done pretty good but I still love being out on the bay.

Until the bay waters get cleaner- no fishery will be able to support watermen.With all the new gear- it is very easy to overfish a stock in a few years.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Capt. George,

I couldn't agree more with you -----"Too many folks in the bay community are frustrated by politically driven regulations, policies, laws and funding. And far too many studies have gone on too long without results, answers or action."

It's been thirty years of all talk and no meaningful action. This reminds me of growing up in Ohio when the rivers on Lake Erie were on fire, literally. The State government made a committment to do something about the problem and now there is a great fishery on Lake Erie. It takes serious committment, not endless talk and studies. In my opinion we have not yet hit bottom to get the committment we need from our leaders. We can continue to whine, contribute to so called environmental organizations and participate in feel good projects. But, that is not going to solve the bigger problem. Frankly, as I see it the only good work has come from individuals willing to do the right thing on their own to protect the bay.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
I feel that there have been studies after studies made and very little resolution. Very much like Montgomery County's Inter County Connector. I asked a VERY high ranking NRP official, " With all the monies that have been collected publicly and privately....why is the bay still filthy?" His response was. " If all that money hadn't been collected...the bay would be much worse off than it is now." He said that the problem was Annapolis red tape. Now, with the economy the way it is, I feel that there are going to be major cuts made and the bay will be one of the first. It seems like the American way is take, take, take and credit, credit credit. IT HAS ALL CAUGHT UP WITH US. Man thinks he has all the answers to nature when actually, he has caused all the problems in nature. How does nature clean the bay........OYSTERS! Yet we are still taking them. It takes money for projects but also takes COMMON SENSE and that can't be bought.................Gary

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Common sense might not be able to be bought but votes can :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....on the Virginia Board, I thought I'd toss in a couple of cents here. This was an example of a pointless article. There were so many biased statements and flights of fancy, that it is a waste of time to respond to them. Seemed like a lot of whining, and no attempts at presenting any useful, factual information.

Like it's a surprise to anyone over the age of 16 that policies and regulations are political. Unfortunately for every person in the "bay community", which according to the article includes just farmers, and watermen, that feel that regulations and policies are too stringent, there are a lot more in the larger "bay interest group" that think that the rules are too lax.

Whoever said that the goal of politicians, environmentalists, and bureaucrats was to preserve the traditional way of life of the watermen?

Mr. Blakiston is the representative of a special interest group. It is no surprise that he would be writing such an article. The only surprise is that it is so poorly written.

Sorry Capt., this probably isn't the response you wanted.
---No , it was in fact what I wanted --But Please Read My Comments Again, This Article Is from a Man whom for OVER 4 Decades has been Advocate for the things we Anglers all want , But Do not get, Ask some as to Mr Blackistone's Historic Profile on his involment in The Chesapeake Watershead --Thanks for Speaking Forth --geo.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the paid lobbyists are the biggest problem.When common sense tells everyone to slack off Oysters/Crabs/Yellow Perch/etc - it seems IMHO that nothing is done until it is too late.

Everyone knows oysters do a great job filtering our bay water yet they are still being harvested.Makes no sense to take out these important filter feeders.Pollution in the water is a real concern - leaving the oysters to clean the water makes more sense then taking them.

Back in 1982 - I was crabbing all summer and saving up money to buy an oyster boat over on Kent Island.My father had a long talk with me about my future and steered me away from the job I would have loved to do (work the bay).He foresaw the tough times ahead for watermen.That year the bay froze over tight so I took a job in construction.Stayed with it and have done pretty good but I still love being out on the bay.

Until the bay waters get cleaner- no fishery will be able to support watermen.With all the new gear- it is very easy to overfish a stock in a few years.
--Skip , My Friend , You also failed as to what I was Saying , I Said Dissregard the " Watermen" part & Read the GENERAL Frustrations this Man Feels --I Cudda Maybe Edited The Article & Skillfuly left those parts out, But that would Wrong ---Are You not Fustrated as to the Speed the Funded & Donated monies have Ment Nothing to the Overall Situation --

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Capt. George,

I couldn't agree more with you -----"Too many folks in the bay community are frustrated by politically driven regulations, policies, laws and funding. And far too many studies have gone on too long without results, answers or action."

It's been thirty years of all talk and no meaningful action. This reminds me of growing up in Ohio when the rivers on Lake Erie were on fire, literally. The State government made a committment to do something about the problem and now there is a great fishery on Lake Erie. It takes serious committment, not endless talk and studies. In my opinion we have not yet hit bottom to get the committment we need from our leaders. We can continue to whine, contribute to so called environmental organizations and participate in feel good projects. But, that is not going to solve the bigger problem. Frankly, as I see it the only good work has come from individuals willing to do the right thing on their own to protect the bay.
--Amazing , how a Few Imported Zebras cleaned up the Great Lakes --Cudda come outa a ship's Bilges anchored, right off Annapolis During the Great Baltimore Stevedore Strike in the 80's--Almost 2 Years , they set --Any one of ya remmember who went Walleye fishing that year ?---
I Can --

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel that there have been studies after studies made and very little resolution. Very much like Montgomery County's Inter County Connector. I asked a VERY high ranking NRP official, " With all the monies that have been collected publicly and privately....why is the bay still filthy?" His response was. " If all that money hadn't been collected...the bay would be much worse off than it is now." He said that the problem was Annapolis red tape. Now, with the economy the way it is, I feel that there are going to be major cuts made and the bay will be one of the first. It seems like the American way is take, take, take and credit, credit credit. IT HAS ALL CAUGHT UP WITH US. Man thinks he has all the answers to nature when actually, he has caused all the problems in nature. How does nature clean the bay........OYSTERS! Yet we are still taking them. It takes money for projects but also takes COMMON SENSE and that can't be bought.................Gary
--Naw , A CCCorps will be set up to take care of the White Collar Unemployed ,like on the 30"s Then the BAY Resteration work WILL get Done --Next Local Election , I promise you there will be a Massive Change of the OLD Guard, of GOOD Promises & Handshakes of Support , that are given with poor body Language --A YES Sir ,Answer while shaking the head with a NO side to side motion --Bulk mailings for Pennies will become a Thing of the past --Same Postage for All --Volenteerism , like we Know now will dissapear , as we all have to scratch for a DIME ---See those Rodents with bushy tails in your Neighborhood running around & raiding your bird feeder --By March at 2/3 rds will be in Brunswick Pies --Free meat in a Depression goes Fast --Oh Well this & fishing too --geo.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
---No , it was in fact what I wanted --But Please Read My Comments Again, This Article Is from a Man whom for OVER 4 Decades has been Advocate for the things we Anglers all want , But Do not get, Ask some as to Mr Blackistone's Historic Profile on his involment in The Chesapeake Watershead --Thanks for Speaking Forth --geo.
capt.george,
I agree that the frustrations came through. And I also agree with some of the frustrations, but not necessarily all of them. Thanks for the thought-provoking article.
Bill

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
---Thursday Morning 0730---364 Views ---4 Comments in a 24 hour Period ---The Silence is Deafing as usual --I thought this was a Top of the Line Sudject for the Entire T F Family --Wrong Again ????---geo.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well Capt., I'll toss in my two pennies. Many of us share the frustrations of the author, but we are looking at it from the opposite side of the equation. We all know who the author is, we all know what his ultimate motive is...HARVEST. The general population of TF'rs ultimate motive is ...RESTORATION. The two ideas are diametrically opposed.

RESTORATION - HARVEST = 0

We are getting no where fast. The oyster restoration program is prime example of this. I'm tired of throwing buckets of tax money at a problem that a 5th grader could figure out. We are removing more than the ecosystem can replace. Maybe that's the answer... maybe we should replace the DNR with a 5th grade class.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Capt., I'll toss in my two pennies. Many of us share the frustrations of the author, but we are looking at it from the opposite side of the equation. We all know who the author is, we all know what his ultimate motive is...HARVEST. The general population of TF'rs ultimate motive is ...RESTORATION. The two ideas are diametrically opposed.

RESTORATION - HARVEST = 0

We are getting no where fast. The oyster restoration program is prime example of this. I'm tired of throwing buckets of tax money at a problem that a 5th grader could figure out. We are removing more than the ecosystem can replace. Maybe that's the answer... maybe we should replace the DNR with a 5th grade class.
--I too Agree with Your Frame of mind , AS you say The Restoration process HAS been in force for Over 40 years , with State & Gover. Supervision & Funds , The Public has Dug Deep in sometimes shallow Pockets to give to Donations asked for by Non Profits --The ones entrusted to give us FINAL outcomes for Decades of Studies Continue to need Another grant to study even more ---Never a Concluded Reported Finalization ---And as we "Restore" the need for " Harvest " becomes Unnessary ---In My Particular Situation , I"d like to know what caused the Loss of Sea Trout in the Middle Bay --But in my case why ask , I'd never live long enough read or hear a Studied Reason --I Think if Anything is diametrically opposed. it is the present path of Thinking ---If Restoration hasent Occured in 40 yrs -Harvest ,may as well be Forgotten --geo.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I may have to recount my last post. I just got a call from home. My 1st grader needed help with her homework and she asked me how to look up where cane toads come from. So it would seem that teaching about the disasters caused by introducing a non-native species is taught at a pretty young age.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
the watermen are their own worst enemy. In a time when the bay health is sliding due to over development and entire species are in danger by it, the watermen are hell bent to harvest as much of it as they can before it's all gone. Oysters, clams, fish, crabs...All of it...they don't believe in conservation they believe in $$. When it's all gone they will go crying to Washington for more aid. Allowing people like Larry Simns and the MWA to even suggest regulation is like allowing the fox to guard the hen house...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may have to recount my last post. I just got a call from home. My 1st grader needed help with her homework and she asked me how to look up where cane toads come from. So it would seem that teaching about the disasters caused by introducing a non-native species is taught at a pretty young age.
---yup Important to teach our young ,But also I hope the Imports that Are Benificial will be mentioned in the Snysnopis of the Class Study

--My Pet Beek is in our Modern School system , & it Dirrectly part of this Subject --If a Young man or Girl is not gifted in the RRR wird Why are THEY BARRED from taking Vocational Education Classes, That WILL help them in the Blue Collar world they will been subject to ---I Know that my Life wold have been so much harder if i had not had 3 Periods of Agriculture a day --Learned , Forestery, Water Quality , Septics , Welding , Home keeping , Record * Finacial Control etc. --My advrage was a C--Now a Days I believe it Requires A& B's ---Such a Waste , The Teaching is There , but the Graduates will go into WhiteCollar jobs. no wonder 16 yr. olds Quit early --geo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts