Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was one of those rare and wonderful days when being old didn't suck. Either the blind pig found an acorn, or I may have actually figured out how to catch some fish.
Fishing the upper bay on an absolutely gorgeous day- the wake from the Judge was the biggest disturbance on the water. But we wanted some fish. Heard Shawn Kimbro speak at Balto. CCA meeting last night so already I was smarter than I have been all year. First task of the day is to find birds - this is the time of year when they tell you where the fish are.
Water Sky Cloud Body of water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Next step is to catch a bird for interrogation.
Water Leg Sky Lake Happy
But the bird wouldn't talk. There was a bit of waterboarding involved in getting our informant to the boat, but he remained tight-billed. So we released him and went to Plan B.
Plan B: Ask the fish finder
White Plant Gps navigation device Product Output device
Fortunately Mr. Lowrance was a more cooperative witness and readily coughed up the requisite information.
Having located the fish, it was time to jig 'em up. It took some more time than others to figure out how to get the bigger fish out from under the smaller ones up top. But the crew was persistent and finally passed muster with the captain.
Sky Goggles Water Sunglasses Hat
We moved around quite a bit, but managed to find one pod of breakers after another. Birds were often absent. But we had excellent action from 12 - 4. A few decent eating size blues in the mix as well. Managed a limit of rock (biggest 26").
Food Vertebrate Grey Seafood Fish
Continued to fish, action slowed down but we still found some fish between 5 - 6:15 PM - no birds at all, and many of these later fish were taken with nothing showing on the surface. Also saw a couple of groups of what I'm guessing were naval speedboats - complete with camouflage paint jobs pass by. Unfortunately the photo doesn't do the vessels justice.
Water Boat Sky Water resources Watercraft
Most of out fish were caught in 25-30' of water, but some breakers were in 50'. Above the bay bridge and below the Patapsco near the channel edges were the best spots, but bait pods were everywhere and we covered much farther to the east and farther to the north as well. Caught some shorts in those areas. Metal OK, but jigs with plastics were the ticket today.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lovely report. Thanks.

One comment: If you want to keep your hot spot private you might reconsider posting a pic of the GPS chart along with the very nice pile of fish on the finder. :yes:

Alas, I see you are too far north of Solomons for me to poach on your spot. But you give me hope that I'll find something similar next time I get out.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brooks, It was not an oversight. Fish are all over the place this time of year, so I hope everyone doesn't just rush to this spot thinking that it is a special, secret-now-revealed location . It was a good spot for about a half hour. The GPS shot shows the northern edge of the general area which I described in my post. Yesterday was a "windshield" day for us, but I have plenty of "bug" days as well. And most of the time that we were on fish, we were the only boat in the area. Did a lot of moving around, followed fish when we found them. When one spot tapered off we were generally able to find another within a mile or two. But when I went hunting I did look for areas where the bottom had some structure (bumps, dropoffs, channel edges) nearby. It was a great day for us, hopefully the info I posted will help spread some of that joy to others over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice work and great report. I've been working breakers recently without much success pulling larger fish from underneath. Can you go into more detail on the techniques that you used?

I've been keeping an eye on Shawn's speaking schedule but I live waaaay up north so when I have time to head down towards the bridge it's usually with the boat in tow to do some fishing. I get a couple days off a week and work a lot of nights so it's difficult to find time to make the drive down for one of his presentations.

HEY SHAWN!!! PLEASE COME TO UP NORTH....US CECILTUCKY FOLKS NEED TO UPGRADE OUR GREY MATTER!!!!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work and great report. I've been working breakers recently without much success pulling larger fish from underneath. Can you go into more detail on the techniques that you used?

Kilroy, In "The Right Stuff", Shawn's first book, the technique is discussed on p.106. In his second book, "Chesapeake Light Tackle", he goes into a little more detail on pp.114-117. Each book is a great read. On Wednesday, current and wind were such that a half ounce jighead worked for me down to about 28'. I did mark some fish as deep as 50', but was too lazy to up to a one ounce jighead. As Shawn states the trick is to "ride the jig" down to bottom. I'd say that over 90% of the hits I got yesterday came on the fall of the jig. A few came while reeling in, and the fish I hooked on those hits were all either blues or <10" rock. All of the legal size rock yesterday were caught on the bottom. My crew was doing very well on smaller fish yesterday, but they caught a nicer class of fish after they started bumping the bottom with their jigs. How do I know this to be the case? Well, let's just say the contributions to the "keeper box" were a little one sided until someone asked the captain why he was catching all of the nicer sized fish. Basically I think of the technique as a two step process. The first one is "feeling" the lure fall and touch bottom. Then you need to recognize a hit, which is most often just a light tap. Often it will feel like you've bumped bottom twice, or even three times. If you miss one tap, don't worry. It's quite common to get a second or third chance. Whether that's the same fish coming back or another one nearby, I can't say. But my experience leads me to think both scenarios occur. Yesterday the water was very clear and having two or three or eight more rock swim up to the boat next to the one that was hooked was a common and exciting experience.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was out that afternoon too. Mostly just a nice boat ride trolling around - caught couple dinks. I did see the navy boats:3 riding down the bay and then back up an hour later or so. Cool boats. I did better Tues night chasing birds with my kids. 6 year old caught a keeper all by himself. Beautiful weather both days.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,701 Posts
Thanks for the report

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
"Then you need to recognize a hit, which is most often just a light tap. Often it will feel like you've bumped bottom twice, or even three times. If you miss one tap, don't worry. It's quite common to get a second or third chance."

As you said, more often than not the hit will come as the lure falls. That is why I like to use a lure heavy enough so that I am always in positive contact with the lure. Sometimes, the hits on a falling lure are so subtle that it is more of a feeling that something is just a little “different” in the way the lure or line feels. If you have any doubts, set the hook! If there is nothing there, you just jigged it a little bit higher and harder than you may have been before, but a lot of times, it will result in a hookup. The other day, the fish seemed to be picking it off of the bottom. The lure would hit the bottom and when I lifted it to jig, I had a fish on the line. Either the fish was already on the lure or it grabbed it immediately on lift off because the immediate response was a running fish.

Great report and glad you had a banner day. Hopefully, this is just the first of many such days in the next month or so.

Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts