Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some energy and baited a 600 ft TL. Saturday was snotty on the Magothy , so I crab in a little creek out of the wind. CN was the bait and crabbed for 4 hrs. Total keepers was 18, lots of small crabs, 1 doubler (both male and female were real small). Up to 6 " in size.

Today I tried the creek again for 2 hours and only got 6 crabs as keepers. Started at 8:30. Went out to a point on the river and crabbed to lunchtime. Still slow but managed 30 crabs with biggest around 6 1/2 inches, but all nice hard crabs, no soft shell. Total was 3 dozen and had a good meal with 20 leftover. O'yea, got sunburned too, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious if you'd of done better using clams. Thanks for posting report
Never tried clams at all. Commercial guys in neighborhood swear by it. I always use a 3 strand nylon line and use slip knots. Been doing it for years and really only need a couple of dozen for my wife and me. If I catch more , I give the crabs to an elderly neighbor who befriended me and my wife when we moved into the neighborhood.

I've read about snoods, clams and auto dippers, guess this dog is not going to change what has always helped me catch crabs. Stopped using eel years ago when I had 2 600" lines. Did a test, baited one with CN and one with eel. CN won out, but CN always dirty the boat more.

Until this weekend(naturally the days I started to crab), the crabbing has been great in the magothy according to those com guys. Said there have been some big crabs caught.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts