Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used the hydrafoil fins that can be installed on the lower unit, I installed a set this weekend and want to know what people think of them, performance etc..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Buddie of mine put them on his boat last year, he has a 19ft roughneck with a 30hp on it. It helps a lot with getting on plane quicker and keeps the boat from dolphining (bouncing).

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have not personally used it on my boat but I would think the Hydrafoil would increase the trim response quite a bit. I also have heard that it allows you to plane quicker.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I use the SE Sport 300. Third brand I've tried on the same boat. The Sport seems to work well the last 2 years. I wish these folks would use a common bolt arrangement.

·
Registered
773 Posts
[Q]Bob H. originally wrote:
I use the SE Sport 300. Third brand I've tried on the same boat. The Sport seems to work well the last 2 years. I wish these folks would use a common bolt arrangement.

[/Q]

Do you have to drill to mount it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Few years ago I put a 90 Mercury on an 18 Fiberglass Chincoteague Scow. At about 3500rpms the bow would start to porpose and if I tried to trim it down the bow would drop and it would begin to bow steer from side to side. I installed a Dolphin which allowed me better control over the trim of the boat and I could run the boat to 5500rpms no problem or slow it right down until it was barely on plane. It was stable all through it's rpm range. I guess you might say it stabilized the stern. Whatever, it paid off.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed the fin on my 19 ft center console with a 115 on the back. I will find out this weekend when I get the boat out on the river to check it out.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
[Q]Thoroughbred originally wrote:
[Q]Bob H. originally wrote:

[/Q]

Do you have to drill to mount it?
[/Q]

They all require drilling to mount. Typically 1/4" holes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got on plane quicker, was able to plane at slower speeds, weathered modest chop and boat wakes with alot more smoothness. I think these fins are a great improvement. The big test will be with a loaded boat on a trip fishing in the bay.
It took 10 minutes to install and are alot cheaper than trim tabs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whatever you do, don't put them on twin OBs!! I've always had great luck with them on single motors but on twins, the steering wheel developed a mind of its own. I can only imagine what the boat looked like from the side on plane, there couldn't have been more than a few inches of hull in the water :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts