Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang since I`m not fishing I decided to throw some stripers on the smoker. The meat that I am using is the tail end of the fish which has a fishy taste to it if you cook it any other way except for smoking. First I put gallon of water into a bowl and to this I add 1c brown sugar, 2 crumbled bay leaves, 1/3c sea salt and 1/4c soy sauce. Stir until salt and sugar dilute, add fillets and place in frig for 3hrs. Next remove fillets, rinse, pat dry and place on wax paper on a cookie sheet and air dry for 1 hour. The smoker wood that I use is hickory and fish is to be smoked for 4hrs in which time the smoker should reach a temp of 160 for a brief period of time (20min) then back down to low temp and make sure the smoke is rolling heavy the entire time. The smoked striper taste best cold and also you can break up one of those fillets and add to cream cheese for a great smoked striper dip. Give this a try.:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Smoke all you want my friend , rockfish don't lend themselves to smoke like more oily fish . To smoke rock for that long will result in a very dry piece of fish . JMO TMI for so little return . The tail end doesn't have any more fishy taste to it than any other part . You have to trim the lateral line out of it . The tail end is much thinner and harder to trim so you end up splitting it length wise . Fry it ! If you want to get a nice piece of smoked rockfish , try saving the rib cage . Trim all of the guts away , marinate and smoke .:yes:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And smoke away I will Mike. Maybe you would have a different opinion if you tasted the finished product without lateral line as you asumed I did not remove.

·
Registered
693 Posts
CB,

While I have never presoaked striper like I would Kings, I'm with you, and will give your recipe a try, thanks for sharing! Striper on the smoker is awesome, and one of many great ways to enjoy it, including frying.

How big was the fish?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I tried smoking rock and experienced the dry hard crumbly fish syndrome. Think I agree with Dr. Rose that the oily fish works better.

I smoke the larger freshwater trout that I catch. They are a bit oilier and turn out really good.

I have good luck with blues and croaker.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Smoke and smoke away he will Mike. His smoked striper is delisch. Cant beat it.

Fills Taylor Island with a fantastic smell.

Happy New Year Ken.

Vince

·
Registered
294 Posts
Definitely the oilier fish smoke better.. However, I liked smoked fish so I am not real picky. I smoke the stripers with the skin on, no marinade, no soaking just throw em' on there. I don't smoke mine for all that long really, when it starts to split a little I consider it done. Enjoy Chug!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fish can dry out but I have a drip pan full of water and use low heat. Sometimes you will get a dry piece if the fillet is thin but these fish were around 35lbs so there is no drying issue. Happy new year Vince.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
The fish can dry out but I have a drip pan full of water and use low heat. Sometimes you will get a dry piece if the fillet is thin but these fish were around 35lbs so there is no drying issue. Happy new year Vince.
Ever try laying some bacon strips over it ? Works pretty good .Next time you get a big fish, try the ribcage deal . I was tog fishing up in Jersey a few years back and a guy had some smoked tog ribs . I had my doubts but it was very tasty so I tied it on rockfish . Yum . A little chewy but very tasty . if you got some nice croaker this year , try smoking them . You won't be sorry . Hope the rock comes out good fior you .:))

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
So you smoke the backbone and ribs after you cut off the fillets and the head and guts?
Take some poultry shears and cut away the ribs from the backbone leaving the rib meat attached . Brine as usual and smoke . Doesn't take very long as the meat isn't very thick . You can then separate the ribs just like mini pork ribs . I would never have thought about it if that guy hadn't givin me some tog ribs to try . The guy was Greek and was a very good tog fisherman .

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mike, I`m always ready to try something new. This time of year I fire the smoker up pretty often. Next thing will be smoked cheese. You really have to watch it will melt fast if you don`t have a cold smoker.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
__ I just found a Market for Smoked Bluefish ----Maybe a 50%-50% deale this year ---

--Call me Anyone that has some for Feb. for my Grand O--geo

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
..... Next remove fillets, rinse, pat dry and place on wax paper on a cookie sheet and air dry for 1 hour.....:thumbup:
Hit the nail on the head with the drying time. A good pellicle is key to any smoked fish. I've seen guys actually wipe off the pellicle thinking the damp look it gives was going to inhibit smoke infusion.

How large were the filet's that you cured? I'll cure the bigger ones for 12 hrs or more depending on how thick it is.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bring em on, fillets are 1-1.5" thick and 8-10" long. You must be using a cold smoke method if you are smoking for 12hrs. I do mine for 4hrs on a cheep smoker with a drip pan full of water to keep from drying.:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Bring em on, fillets are 1-1.5" thick and 8-10" long. You must be using a cold smoke method if you are smoking for 12hrs. I do mine for 4hrs on a cheep smoker with a drip pan full of water to keep from drying.:thumbup:
I think he's referring to the brining , not smoking time .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.