Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are truely a "7th grader" then you are young and still naive about the world. You may think that you've been around long enough to figure it out, but I've been here over 60 years and still haven't done it.

The First Amendment guarantees "freedom of speech". The interpretation of that has been wrangled over by lawyers and the Justices of the Supreme Court. To think that Terrell Owens has figured it out.....well...you give him too much credit. I don't even know you but I bet YOUR SAT scores are going to be higher than his....and hopefully you'll have more common decency if not common sense. He is not a role model for "freedom of speech".

With our First Amendment we CANNOT yell "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, especially when there isn't one. You have to exercise good judgement with your speech. You do have the right to criticize your government. If you were allowed access to the BS Board(that censored word not meant to be seen by the "underage" on this forum), you would see exactly how much criticism is allowed in this country AND on these forums.

If you were to travel to some foreign country like....oh, Korea......you might probably enjoy a lot of freedom of speech criticizing the United States.....but I dare say that you would find yourself deported or imprisoned if you decided to criticize the government of that nation.

That's just one small example but hopefully they are better than a T-shirt and "T O".

Learn to read. Read good books. Learn to write.....not TXT MSG.....actually WRITE WORDS or indeed you will relegate English to a second rate language in this country. Don't use spell check. Look up words in the Dictionary! Why? Because in looking up the words in a dictionary you actually discover other words along the way. Words are meant for expressing ourselves and the more ways that we can do that and do it in a way to be more clearly understood the more fun you'll have with language. Words go along with music or am I missing something about HIP HOP? Words have the power to evoke emotions. They can excite us or incite us. Use a Thesarus. It is a book that gives you alternative choices for words instead of saying the same word over and over again. It gives your writing some variety instead of the same boring word. Give it a try.

I didn't write this to criticize you. It troubled me that you had no faith in words or in the Constitution as it was intended. THIS is a PRIVATE forum. Brandon sets the rules, kind of like HIS house. He tells you what can properly be said in his house and how to say it. Sometimes that's called "manners" or "etiquette". HE sets the tone. HE went through all the trouble of setting up this site. HE is the BIG DOG!

I also write this as one who HAS been censored in the past. Actually, I've been censored a number of times. Each time I apologized for my indiscretion. NO BIG DEAL! He has a right on his forum to censor whatever he wants and I believe he interjects himself only when things are getting out of hand.

If you've stayed with me this long.....thanks for listening. Please keep posting. Please keep reading....but PLEASE understand that the First Amendment is NOT a bunch of useless words on paper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I must have missed something, but what does this have to do with fishing? Yes everyone has their rights, but I am getting so tired of all the complaints. This is my freedom of speach, and I think we all should talk about the fish we catch, or not catch. You guys are taking all the fun out of this site. Nough said.
Mike

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, Captain...

...you missed something. 34 replies and 1900+ looky-sees with the topic of "censorship". Has everything to do with "rights" and fishing and life in general.

Thanks for exercising your rights to free speech....now GO FISH. Write a report and bring fun back into our lives. As soon as I go, I'll write one and try to restore your sense of well being. Consider this to be a Scam Update.

But.....if your first name is "shane", then I apologize.....NOUGH SAID!

Dear Lord....we ask for Deliverance...Amen!

·
Registered
253 Posts
dude are you trying to make a point or something or just waste everyones time i mean really this isnt complain about everything board or as you would want me to say the bemoan about everything board this is a virginia fishing board now obviously what i said just flew over your head or again as you would want me to say that you took me out of context so just stop your point obviously didnt reach me so just shut up

·
Registered
253 Posts
and to be quite honest you should change your name because your anything but sane and if you dont like me using cpu or txt mssge ling get off bcuz tht iz wat u do on da cpu u abb. evrything! like omg!!!!dis is bc

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't trying to stir up drama...

..I thought that you had some misconceptions about the First Amendment and how it applied to this board. I only intended to try and clarify what I felt the difference was. I wasn't trying to DIS you but obviously that's how it was taken.

I happen to enjoy language and it's uses. The only point I was trying to make was to believe in "free speech" but understand that there are areas that the Constitution leaves it to individual discretion on how to use that speech and that some people have ownership of the forum in which speech can be used.

I made a mistake. I meant to try open a door to you and not slam one in your face. I apologize.....and will close the door. Sane and insane are just words, as are "appropriate" and "inappropriate". Apparently I made inappropriate remarks to you, but one word in parting......punctuation is a neat tool too!

·
Registered
253 Posts
oooh well all i was saying is that the first amenment isnt allways true and my example with T.O was that he thought he had free speach but he said bad things and got kicked off the eagles and believe me there is no way that he is close to being my role model!!!! lol i am truely sorry

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Don't Knock the Doc?

Shane I can only give you this advice. The Doc brings Sanity to this board. Read his words & learn from them as the rest of us do ! Not only does he speak w/ eliquince he speaks the truth. Learn from your elders, don't disrespect 'em. ;-) Good luck when you can go ....:fishing2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts