Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from a charter boat captain - anchor hung up on the Hooligan snood reef near Bloody Point. He hoped I was out in my boat but I was not. We discussed best way to get me there - he decided to remove all 250 feet of rode and coil it up. He put three markers on the line and headed back to Annapolis.

I got dive gear off my boat and headed down about 1:00 to meet him. Clouds were getting darker - I hoped storms would not hit us. Got to his slip just as his party left - quickly loaded my gear and headed out. Captain was worried he had bent the 45 pound danforth but still wanted to recover the thirty feet of chain and shackles.

Cruising along at 14 knots felt slow but we made decent time. I looked at pulpit missing its anchor. Mate told me he went over with only a dive mask - I cringed at how dangerous that was. A diver died on this reef years ago - it is no place for novice.

Bay was calm and I saw a huge swirl - than a splash. Dolphin was jumping in the boat wake. We got to reef and saw the markers. Discussed basic plan - I would find anchor and send it up via orange lift bags with boat staying near my bubbles.

May be an image of one or more people and body of water

Went over the side - water felt nice. Swam to markers and headed down the rode. Visibility was near zero as I got near bottom in about 15 feet. Felt the chain and slowly pulled along it - mentally counting off the feet. Ten feet or so the chain looped back over a piece of rebar. At first I thought it was another anchor. Figuring out the X - I continued along chain. It was wrapped around a few things and then I was back to the X. Freed that and a few more feet felt shackle.

Anchor was vertical along a concrete slab. Put lift bag on it and sent it up. Chain ran through my gloves but stopped - still hung up. I went along it and freed it - putting another lift bag on the end.

Sent that up and followed rode - it too was hung up. Got that free and came up to surface.

Captain brought boat closer and his mate grabbed the anchor and then pulled in the chain and rode. Once everything was in - they helped me in. No ladder but in a pinch - exhaust hole makes for a foothold. Good news was the anchor was fine - chain was what was hung up.

Wind had really picked up while I was under - so we headed west. Stopped in about 10 feet and set anchor over. The rode needed to be put back on the spool of windlass. Made sure it was cleated well and they got it wound on quickly. Once anchor was in pulpit it was safe to take off my gear as we headed back.

Storm was raging to south - lot of lightning and swirling clouds. Passing Thomas Point light - took a quick photo.
May be an image of nature and ocean

Storm skirted us - luckily. All we had was light drizzle. Got back and made sure anchor was secured.

No photo description available.

Would liked to have explored the reef more - maybe next time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great story! Glad you were successful. Can't believe the mate tried to free anchor with a dive mask.

·
Premium Member
26,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big DV - Me too. He is about 18-19 - bullet proof , lol.
I think he realized how serious it could get once I explained what is down there.
I do give him credit - he got to the rode / chain splice.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You were lucky the storms did not come your way, they really packed a punch up north yesterday.

Mike

·
Registered
743 Posts
As the summer heats up I am very sure you phone a radio will be blowing up with calls of lost anchors always enjoy the reads of the recoveries. I don't think there is a day that goes by where when you are able you lend a helping hand thanks for all you do for others.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Skip, You never cease to amaze me. In all the years I have known you I cannot think of an instance that you did not come to someone's need. My hat is off to you my friend.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Skip- yes as interesting as that place is, as you said is super dangerous with viz, much less zero viz. so much fishing gear in there, so much to get hung up on while you're down there. Winter is the time

·
Registered
914 Posts
Skip - I always enjoy your reports. You called it "Hooligan Snood". Pretty sure we are talking about the same place but I have always remembered it as "Hollicutt's Snooz". Can anyone say for sure? Or have any idea where the name came from?

Thanks

Pat

P.S. A quick google search on this offered no clarity. There was even a tidal fish post back in 2005 where this was discussed but never reached a conclusion. Apparently it goes by several different names.

·
Premium Member
26,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pkeating - There is a good story about the reef in June edition of Fish Talk ( free magazine ).

Name is discussed with no real clear answer.

Reactions: pkeating

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, total respect for what you do and the risks you take.
Novice question - how does a boater decide to recover an anchor vs. cutting the rope and abandoning? Certainly there are costs and time involved in the retrieval. Is it the boater's responsibility to remove it for safety reasons? I would assume there's a maximum depth where an anchor could be used and retrieved?

·
Premium Member
26,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hadenough - Most guys will cleat the anchor and try to pull it free from various angles. Sometimes this works - sometimes makes it worse by wrapping chain or rode up in snag more.

If your anchor is stuck - best thing is to let chain fall to bottom and allow 5 feet or so slack. Tie a jug on end - and try to contact a diver. I do it as a fun hobby.
There is no requirement for you to remove it.

Some wrecks I dive - I'll find 5-10 anchors. Max. depth I go is about 130 feet.

Reactions: andypat
1 - 12 of 12 Posts