Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tidal Potomac Fly Rodder
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first ever (and first annual) DC Spey Clave hosted by Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders will be held this Saturday, April 23, 2011 from 9AM - 2PM at Fletcher's Cove just below Georgetown in Washington, D.C. It will likely run a bit longer than that, but I plan to fit all of the presentations and lessons into that time. I am proud, pleased and thankful to announce that Eric Reed from Beulah Fly Rods and Steve Monahan from Temple Fork Outfitters will be there with many of their two-handed offerings, and Dan Davala will have plenty of Orvis tackle on hand including Helios Spey and Switch rods. This event is 100% non-commercial, so there will be no buying or selling tackle during the event. This clave is intended as an educational event and is free and open to the public.

The itinerary for the first annual Washington DC Spey Clave is as follows:

9:00 AM - Kick off the event, highlight its purpose, and outline the presentations.
9:30 AM - Presentation on Traditional Spey Casting and its origin (20min followed by Q&A)
10:30AM - Presentation on Shooting Head/Underhand/Scandi Style including region specific applications and benefits (20 min followed by Q&A)
11:30 AM - Presentation on Overhead/Surf casting including region specific applications and benefits (20 min followed by Q&A)

12PM - 2PM - Burgers and Dogs provided and grilled by Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

12:30 PM - Presentation on Skagit Casting including region specific applications and benefits (20 minutes followed by Q&A)
1:30 PM - Presentation on Single Hand Spey Casting Techniques including region specific applications and benefits (20 minutes followed by Q&A)
2:00 PM - Closing statements, thank you, and acknowledgements

2:00PM - 5:00PM - continued casting and fishing for shad up and down the river (weather and river levels permitting).

Hope to see some of you guys there!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
So what was it like? Many people show up? Let's see some pictures. Any fish caught? THe river was mighty dirty on Saturday but I think it was better the further up you went. I went down river, didn't find much but a mess and a few largemouth.

·
Tidal Potomac Fly Rodder
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had a great turn out considering the weather in the morning, with a head count of 60 people mid-day. As far as I know, none of us caught any fish or even tied on a fly. Enjoy the pictures, courtesy of Todd Kim.

·
Tidal Potomac Fly Rodder
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a point well taken Ken, I certainly intended to post about it earlier but barely got around to posting it when I did. I have been swamped trying to finish up my last two weeks of grad school and I was working at a different office last week plagued with IT troubles.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Strong work, Dalton. I had heard about the event but regret missing it due to conflicting activities. I will sure to set aside for the next time and also wear my Devils cap.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sincerest thanks to Dan and Dalton and all of the instructors who gave of their time and talent to share the spey casting game with a bunch of newbies and wanna-be-betters. I've attended a larger clave out west, with 'more famous' names providing the sessions, but you all made the tips/insights a LOT more accessible, and no more complex/mysterious than they had to be, from my perspective. And THAT is the hallmark of good instruction!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts