Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a video of the first blue marlin I caught and also the first one out of VA in 2014 on the Rebel (a Virginia Beach based offshore fishing charter boat).

The blue marlin was caught using ballyhoo on the long rigger.

We also caught two 70lbs yellow fin tunas and two 30lbs dolphins that day.

**Note: because we departed out of Oregon Inlet (where it was being serviced at the time- Wanchese Mariana) and returned to the VA Beach Fishing Center, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) did not award the me a citation for my catch. However, the video is proof I really did catch a blue marlin! I know's it small but it's still a BLUE.

Capt. Randy Butler is the real deal! He knows how to get into the fish. If you're thinking of booking an offshore fishing trip, take a look at his website or facebook page. Check him out for yourself...he knows how to fish! http://rebelsportfishing.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By no means did I purposely misrepresent the catch. I slowed down and enlarged the video as best I could to try to determine if it's a white or blue but I'm not an "ichthyologist". However, from what I was able to research online, sometimes the small blues can look like whites. Does anyone know of a good resource to help identify the difference between the two?

If it's really a white, I will most certainly correct the posting here and on youtube.

Either way, blue or white, it's still a marlin and catching a marlin beats any day of work, right? :yes:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would have thought the captain or mate would have told you what you caught ? Congratz on your ****** , too bad you didn't get the scratch for it ......

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Pretty Certain; being that The Rebel has won the White Marlin open and got a nice $1,000,000.00 plus check for doing such ; he knows the difference. Last year the Rebel had 47 whites in ONE DAY.....again I think he knows the difference.
Congrats on your first Blue one !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts