Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man! I made the trek to Kiptopeke yesterday and met up with Zebby. Splashed the boat about noon and couldn't get it started. Checked everything I could think of, but didn't seem to be getting a spark. Took it to Chesapeake Marine in Exmore, the local Yamaha mechanic, and got an hour long lecture from a condescending a$$, but he wouldn't work on it (I'm here, but I'm technically closed).

No mechanics open down there on Saturday, so I ate the 2 night room rate at the Inn and made the long trek home. Total damage $180 to the Inn, 3 tanks of gas, 9 hours of driving, and who knows how much at Boatworks. I guess it's time to call it a season.

I guess I can look forward to spring trophy season!

·
Registered
366 Posts
If at first you don't succeed, then try try again!:yes: I'd give anything to have the chance to go down there and fish. Prob won't happen for a lot time. Do it when you have the chance!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've seen more reports of dead motors lately. My son drove my boat off the trailer last week while I parked. When I got to the pier he was adrift 50' away yelling "it won't start". I told him to check the clip on the kill switch, then we fished all day. Stupid, I know, but it's scared me a few times when the motor died on the water.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's Tim at Boatworks. I tried to start once with the kill switch off. The loud squealing alarm should have been my first clue, so I won't do that again. It wasn't that this time. I even pulled up on the clip in case it wasn't fully engaged. No such luck that it would be something that easy.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I had a starter failure on my boat last fall while down at Cherrystone campground, on Friday evening.......Saturday morning, most all folks down there where unusally unwilling to help out......Got sent on plenty wild goose chases back and forth, north and south on rt 13 when a good sumaritan finally told me of a shop that rebuilds starters(had three on the shelf) and was 10 minutes from the campground. When I asked the owner, "Why did'nt these othere a-holes tell me about him", he said cause he's an outsider(moved there from baltimore). Unbelievable.......there's a few establishments down yander that I should throw a few bricks through there plate glass windows during one of my CBBT runs........and one in particular that I should just into and give him a plain old Cowboy @SS Kicking:yes: I am not at all impressed with the hospitality down those parts.....considering if it wer'nt for outside fishermen dollars$$$ that place would'nt be worth a hoot.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your motor troubles. Nothing is more frutrating than getting down there and not even being able to go. I talked to a few fisherman down there who said the bite was slow, so don't feel too bad.

I remember last year I got down there only to have a shift cable snap on me. Same thing, nobody to fix it and I had to turn around.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I had a starter failure on my boat last fall while down at Cherrystone campground, on Friday evening.......Saturday morning, most all folks down there where unusally unwilling to help out......Got sent on plenty wild goose chases back and forth, north and south on rt 13 when a good sumaritan finally told me of a shop that rebuilds starters(had three on the shelf) and was 10 minutes from the campground. When I asked the owner, "Why did'nt these othere a-holes tell me about him", he said cause he's an outsider(moved there from baltimore). Unbelievable.......there's a few establishments down yander that I should throw a few bricks through there plate glass windows during one of my CBBT runs........and one in particular that I should just into and give him a plain old Cowboy @SS Kicking:yes: I am not at all impressed with the hospitality down those parts.....considering if it wer'nt for outside fishermen dollars$$$ that place would'nt be worth a hoot.
Bill...you're so right about that area....we need to trade bridges...we can have theres and they certainly can have ours....:D
Cowboy A$$ kicking?........LMAO...:D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Been there - done that :52: Now I always run the engine in my driveway prior to making any long trip......:smartisme2:
Amen to this. I do it religously now. Still doesn't mean it will start at the ramp, but chances are better you'll find the problem before leaving home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts