Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day siteings or shots? and trail cam report

I didnt go in the am but did go in the pm. Seen 3 deer move at a fast clip at 45 yrs right at last shooting light. Could'nt tell what they were. I 'm thinking another hunter that was in the same area left before i did and spooked them. forgot my glasses, they will go in the bag tonight. Oh, checked my trail cam for the first time today. Had 2 pic's of a doe taken at 3:50 pm on 9/28. Put it out on 9/24.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

Didn't hunt the morning.

Went to A.P. Hill for the evening. Did some scouting in one area. Could have been better, so checked out and back into an "old faithful" area. After walking from oak to oak, finally found a red oak dropping acorns, and several piles of deer droppings. Put the climber on a near by tree.

About 6pm had three deer come running by and disappear. 30-40 mins later, they came sneaking back up to the red oak. Nibbled the acorns a bit and then out into the field for some green grass. A doe and two fawns. They got as close as 16 yards. It is fun having them close enough to hear the acorns crunching in their mouths. Had fun watching them do their thing.

About 7pm, heard a herd of elephants coming thru the dry leaves. Coming right towards me. First a big, mature doe, a little cautious but ready for some acorns. Then a smaller doe, then another twin to that one, then a little runt. 4 slick-heads in a row. After talking last night with my Rapprunner, figuring they were last years twins and this years single fawn. Momma got as close as 12-13 yards from the base of the tree, and presented a perfect shot, which I did not take. Hoping there might be more deer coming, I just watched them. They munched quickly and then out into the field.

Nothing else showed. Figure me and Rapprunner will double team them in that tree one evening next week. I will be armed with the video camera. Hope to get a "fall harvest" on film.[smile]

I did get some video footage of the first three deer on my digital camera. Good thing there were early, cause that thing needs a lot of light to make the video worth a hoot. It looked okay. Tried the same with the last 4 deer, but turned out mostly black screen.

Hope to hear some more good reports from you folks.

Dayton

·
Registered
339 Posts

My Dad and I hunted some private property Sat morning---nothing. Hunted Pickett Sat eve----nothing, AGAIN! Oh well, the season is early. Did hear that 4 were taken up Pickett Sat AM, 3 bucks and 1 doe, don't know about Sat eve results.

Gary,
Hope you get a whack at one this week---Good Luck.[grin]

Ranger,
I am ready---say the word. Hopefully we can hit it later this week. Hey, I watched the video---sweet. Now if we can get 'em to come back when we film!

Good Huntin' to All[grin][grin]

HV aka Rapprunner

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Howard, I 'm going to hunt a few evenings this week if its not to hot. Going to look in to pickett myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts