Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well got my first deer yesterday, so im gonna tell the story:

i have been hunting ft. eustis really hard lately, almost every other day im in the stands looking for my first deer. well i went out around 430 in the am now the area i have been hunting has a strict earn a buck system, well today the bioligist made the call of if its brown put it down, so he could do some tick research. the stand is in a choke area i have a large thick swamp 20 yards on one side and a 10 foot barbwire lined fence on the other side behind me is thick cover and in front of me is a open hardwoods which is full of acorns. so im in the stand and i hear the deer moving in front of and to either side of me, at around 6 ish i can see a very large bodied deer directly to my left feeding so due to the canopy cover and my sights not having a light i cant see my pins and watch him move by. now this buck is a monster 12 point that i have seen in this area all year, so im very dissapointed cause this was my chance, so after first light the deer are gone and its just me and the fing squirrels, around 730 i hear the sound i have been waiting for the distinct sound of a deer grunting behind me, so a minute later here comes a small doe right under nieth me, then another and another and another all of them are looking behind them at something else then here he comes a monster retard one side has maybe a 3 inches of antler and the other side is fourteen inches of spike but the pisser is that his back is really swooped and he has a large neck he looked really old to me and im all about good deer management so i decided instead of taking one of the does to take the buck, so at 10 yds i hit him with my magnus stinger straight in his pump station the hole that was made made it possible for me to see a stream of blood shoot into the air. know the reason i talked about the fence earlier is because this deer runs straight into the fence and gets his one decent antler stuck in the fence. he then comences to freak out and starts to thrash around, so after about 2 minutes of this i decide to end it with a second shot that enters his back shattering his spine hitting both lungs and finishing off his heart exiting and sticking him in his hoof hence stopping him for good. so after about another 10 minutes i got out of the stand and admired the buck he is big the final wieght of 120 lbs and aged at 4 and a half. for a first buck being a management deer plus the joy of taking him made my day and im heading out on tuesday to try for the daddy.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Congrats on your first deer. You should give the skull to the biologists and ask them to examine the teeth to see how old the deer is. I'd go back to the same spot if there's that may does working the area. I shot a 5 pointer a longtime ago on the edge of a set of railroad tracks, he ran across the tracks stumbling and got his horns tangled in the fence. I won't tell you how i finished him off .

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you take a deer out of the base you have to check them in and they take the bottom jaw bone out to do the aging also they take a piece of meat to check for inbreeding. awesome deer management.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts