Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my several previous kayak outings in 2011, I used my Drifter, since it is lighter, more maneuverable, and is extremely stable (I really did not want to take a swim in the <40 deg water in Feb and early March). I had no fish to report from those winter outings.

Today I could not resist the 80-deg air temps. My semi-retirement job allows me great flexibility in work hours. After lunch I loaded up the Manta 14, which is much more comfortable for sitting, paddles more efficiently for longer hauls, and has a nice fishing layout.

I spent 2.5 hours in my kayak in two Severn River creeks. I was hoping to find white or yellow perch, but came up empty on those guys. I had just one bite -- a 15" pickerel that was returned to the water to resume breeding. It bit on a 1" chartreuse twister tail on a 1/8-oz jighead. I also threw a beetle spin on one rod, and an inline spinner (similar in design to a Mepps) without any bites on either one.

Once I got the pickerel in the boat, it spit out the hook. At one point as I was trying to grab the fish to hold it still for the photo, it was laying across my lap. After several futile grabs, I realized that having a toothy predator that close to my private parts was not in my best interest, so I pushed it onto the floor of the kayak. Soon I had the fish under control, snapped the photo, and sent the youngster back to the water.

The air was hot, the water seemed reasonably warm, and the wind was swirling. When I was in sheltered areas, I got pushed by the wind in all different directions -- the wind kept changing. Then I paddled 1/2-mile in the main river as I returned to the creek where I started. By now the wind had shifted so that I had to paddle straight into a stiff and gusting wind the whole time. I was happy to get into more sheltered waters.

I was not the only fisherman out there today. In one branch of College Creek, I saw two older men fishing bait from the shoreline. One guy had his rig on the bottom, and the other was fishing something under a bobber. Neither one was catching while I was there. I also saw this raccoon walking at water's edge at the base of a small cliff. He was not intimidated by me. I did not see him catch anything either.

Water Bird Plant Watercourse Natural landscape Water Plant Bird Branch Natural landscape

As I reported a week or so ago, the white perch, which are usually plentiful along the shorelines in warmer weather were not there today. I don't know where they are, but they do not seem to have moved into there summer spots yet.

The water temperature was reasonably warm. The temperature sensor on my sonar transducer always reads a few degrees too high since it is mounted inside the hull rather than being in direct contact with the water. Nevertheless, I did not see any temperature readings on the screen lower than 62 deg F. The water felt cool, but not bitter to my touch. We are definitely moving in a good direction.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Nice report, John. That pickerel might not have been big, but it looked fat. The little ones I've been catching at my local lake are about the same length but half as fat. Anyway, April and September are my favorite months for fishing, and I always try to get out and enjoy it as much as possible.

·
Registered
525 Posts
nice i would think that some stripers would be up in the creeks by now, got 1 at the navy marina on sunday no wp yet. talked with a guy at spsp sunday morning he said he caught a 13" wp very early in the morning

1 - 4 of 4 Posts