Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today looked like best of the upcoming week so went out from Sandy Point. Launched at 11 am - letting winds die off some and temperature warm up. Current would be incoming but against a north west breeze.

Put boat in and saw tide already up. Water in the basin was 39* but went up to 42* in main channel south of bridge. Saw two kayakers out - not too sure about that. Looked around from 50 to 75 feet - best marks in 60 but only a few fish. Ten years ago my finder would be filled. Dropped a cursor mark on GPS.

Set anchor and was about 30 feet upcurrent of the marks. Kept eye on fish finder and GPS - often these fish move around fast. Took a few casts - wind making it tough to feel the jighead. Missed at least a few before getting one to stick. Nice fight from a fat 24 incher.

May be an image of nature

At least now pressure of catching one was gone. Fish hit a chartreuse BKD on 1 oz leadhead - allowed to sweep along with current along bottom. Holding rod tip low helped keep wind from moving the line. Spray attractor seems to help.

Tried various rods with 3/4 and 1 oz heads - white , chartreuse , albino shad colors. Next one hit white - about same size.

No photo description available.

May be an image of nature

I flip fish off hook next to boat - easy since hook barb is mashed flat. I keep a small file and touch up the hook points - seems to help. The hits are light taps at best. Jigging the lure did not get any fish at all. Best was to cast upcurrent at 45* angle and let lure " swim " along bottom.

Bites were slow but so nice out it did not matter. Saw a few fish on meter under boat at times - managed to get one to bite. Nice one about 28 inches that pulled few feet of drag. I'm using 10 lb braid with 3 feet of 20 flouro so have drags a kiss lighter than my normal way past tight. Wind shifted more west and bay got calmer.

May be an image of twilight and ocean

Fished until about 2:30 - incoming current slowing as predicted. Caught six nice Rock - missed about a dozen hits but I like some came back since very few fish seen on meter. Easy run back to ramp - tide was flooded up.

Not the fast fishing like years ago but still nice to get first fish of 2023.

· Registered
5,774 Posts
Not sure how you managed to feel slighted by my comment. Yes Andy, we all know that you are out there every day fishing for panfish without a boat. Yes Andy, we all appreciate your posts.

Pat
Pat, I'm not slighted at all. Sorry you took it that way. You all make jokes and say thing back to each other/ like knocking each other's comments. Well at least now I know how you feel. Really it was kind of like a joke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts