Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry to report that it was not a rockfish, but a sailfish in a little southern fishing. We fished the Jupiter Sailfish Tournament against the best of the best sailfish anglers in the world. A total of 38 boats entered the two day world wind $300k in winnings tournament. I thought it would be nice to get to some warm weather and while Palm Beach was warm, it was not all that warm.

The first day we headed out of the inlet to be welcome by sea smoke and 5-8ft seas. The sails love the rough weather so we had our hopes high. The first day we managed 23 for 30 bites and led the tournament for live bait fishing. The second day the seas laid down along with the bite and we ended up with 9 and lost two that just came unbuttoned.

We manged to finish 5th overall, while not great, still a strong finish for going against the best of the best sailfish anglers.

Back in MD for experiencing this cold wet weather and planning the next warm weather fishing trip in a week or two, I's thinking a little warmer weather and calmer seas stalking bonefish on the flats with the long rod:))

I did not get to take a ton of pics because it was so rough and we were so busy catching fish, but here are a few for your viewing enjoyment.

Heading out of Lake Worth Inlet

David with a release

A few shots of the seas

David fighting a sail in the wave

Day 1 big shots

Cool boat truck that Grand Slam Outfitters had built. They drive it around Jupiter, pretty bad

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Brandon the silver sailfish derby in Palm Beach landed 677 sails on 35 boats and hooked close to 900 the week before.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Great job Brandon. Love the pics. I used to fish for sails down in Jupiter ten years ago. Sure do miss it. Glad that you guys had a good time!

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Wino, my friends boat fished the Derby the week before. I had some other stuff going on and did not make it, but fished it last year and it was a lot of fun. I thought they caught over 735 this year? Any which way they said there were a heck of a lot of sails landed. I think in this two day tournament there was over 400 landed or something like that. The first day it was just crazy with sails surfing down sea:))
Will look you up next time I am down there, probably in a week or two.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Brandon when I was a kid I used to fish Lake Worth Inlet for Snook. We would live line shrimp when the current was ripping out of the inlet. And that inlet can sure rip it out. We caught plenty and a few monsters off the southern side. I fished Miami Beach a couple of weeks ago and we did well on the Sail's. It sure beats ice storms and cold weather. If you come back down give me a shout maybe we can hook up. Nice pics now lets see some sailfish photo's.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Got a big ole smile from ear to ear while having my 2ed cup of coffee :yes:. A couple of those photos were awesome :photo4:.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, it was sporty out there for sure, but those sails love it.

Hank,
I fish the inlet for jacks and around the corner for Tarpon sometimes. Never fished the inlet for snook, but have fished inside around the bridges and in the marina and had some good luck using the fly and jigs. I was going to look you up because I had planned to stay longer, but my friend got one of the colds going around and I wanted to get out of there before I caught it. Go figure I got it anyway. Went to the doc yesterday, feeling better today thank goodness. Will look you up when I am down again.

Brandon

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Nice job Brandon. I fished seas like that a couple of years ago out at the Lumps. Killed the yellowfin that day, but had a huge fight just trying to stay in the boat. Even the guy that was havin the hork fest got in to the fishing. Once he got his head in to the fishing, He felt great.
PS -- Hope you feel better.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had a few guys on the boat that I think would have puked up a lung had we not been catching fish. I think that makes all the difference in the world.
On the mend now thanks. Stay away from that cold, it will wipe you out.

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Cool pictures - love the ones step by step of the CC in the swells.

Wait until Friday night - you'll wish you stayed in Fla , predicted 14*.

Were these Sails pre or post spawn ? :devil2:

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skip
I'll go back down to FL in a heartbeat if we are going to get 14":yes:

I think the sails were pre and post, depends on how you look at it, they are eating their way south :)):wink44::fishing2:

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Ease up on the cold medicine - it is predicted to be 14 degrees , not 14 inches of snow.

My in laws are in the Keys - near Marathon. They complained how cold it got - down to 50 degrees. Guess that is cold for that area but funny to hear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts