Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking my son to work Wed afternoon I decided to put a little time in woods. I've been bowhunting for about 40 years but after my heart attack I haven't hunted much and none this year until Wed. After about 45 minutes a 4 pt walked in. While trying to decide whether to pop him I noticed movement about 50 yards back. Turns out it was a fairly respectable 8 pt which conveniently walks to within 25 yards, stops broadside, and turns to look back at the 4 pt. Big mistake. After the shaft goes completely through him he walks about 10 yards and just stands there for about 5 minutes like nothing unusual has happened. He then proceeds to walk another 20 yards and drops. By the way he reacted, if I hadn't seen the shaft penetrate the deer I would have thought I had missed him. Pic is of deer in back of my truck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CB, Don't know what the spread is. Haven't measured it. I see you are in Solomons. Before I moved up to Charles Cnty I lived St. Marys and hunted St. Marys and Calvert Counties for about 30 years. There used to be some really nice deer down your way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice Buck! Thats a good shot as well. Its nice when they don't run 200 yards into thick stuff and die. Beutiful buck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats, I'll bet ya he was a beauty slippin thru the woods...How did ya manage to keep calm to get the shot?

enjoy the sweet smell of success !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. nicbuc, he came in pretty quick. As far as staying calm, after about 40 years and approx 100 deer with bow it takes a really huge buck to get the shakes going. I sorta miss that part of the hunt though.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Makoman,nice buck but I've been hunting 39 years and I still shake sometimes if I watch a doe too long.
I've heard before when the shaking and the addrenlin,sp?, rush stops it's time to quit hunting.[grin]
I still get that fast heart beat when watching that big buck and get[excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff,
I have considered giving up hunting just for that reason. Just not as much fun as it used to be. That, and most of my old hunting buddies have given it up.

Dean,
I went through a phase when bow hunting was a passion. I was also lucky enough hunt Md, Va, NJ, NY, North and South Carolina, Ala, Ms, Fla, and Tx over the past 30 years with some of those states having liberal deer limits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts