Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calvin, Robert, and I launched from Sea View around 6 AM and reached the First a little before 7. Saw one of the toggers hooked up to a BIG TOG, turned out to be a 44 inch Black Drum. Good sign since that is what we were looking for. We didn't see any fish swimming near the surface around the island, so we concentrated our fishing on the Spine where we had seen the 44 caught. Robert left us to chase flounder and Calvin and I continued to work the Spine hard. I was fishing a Gulp Crab and chunk of Crab Fishbites on a 3/0 Kahle hook rigged Carolina style behind a 1 ounce egg sinker and a Tidal Surge jig marinated in Sticky Liquid on a 1 ounce jig head. Calvin alternated between a Storm and a jig with Fishbites. The flood was in the bottom stages of the tide. We would paddle up stream of the tube, drop down, then jig our rigs over the rocks. We fished hard for over two hours focused on catching a black drum. We would get hung in the rocks, loose a rig, re tie and go back at it. Around 9 o'clock, my rig got stuck in the rocks again. This time, the rock started to move. Next thing I know, I'm being dragged at warp speed from the end of the spine 50 yards to the First Island all the time screaming and hooting. Hoooooked Up! I was using a medium action casting rod with 30 pound Power Pro so I wasn't afraid of putting pressure on the fish to keep him out of the rocks. I stayed over top of him and didn't let him get out from under my boat. He headed straight for the rocks, then the tube, then the toggers, then back to where I hooked him, then back to the island, then the tube then the toggers bouncing me into their boat and under their anchor. They helped by pulling in their lines and keeping me out of their anchor. By now we had attracted an audience. After about a half hour, the fish realized that he was beat and came to the surface. Immense! A black goliath. I slipped the lipper on him and the fight was over. Calvin came over to assist and we got a measurement. 46 inches. Just as I was lifting him for a photo, the lip gripper slipped off and the fish slid into the water and swam away. Oh well, I got the photo on the hard drive in permanent memory. What a fish! We worked the spine for the rest of the tide. Made a couple laps around the island looking for fish, and returned to the spine for the top of the ebb. Nothing. We paddled back to the beach, fighting the ebb and a little easterly blow, victorious. We had picked a species, targeted it, and caught one! Fishing for big fish is a group effort and Calvin and Robert deserve big PROPS for joining me out there and helping with the fish. Thanks a million guys. Next one is yours!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ric, really nice job on the drum. When I got up from a short nap Sunday afternoon my wife said "Calvin called". I knew he was calling to tell me you guys caught something good. Being a biologist, he was as happy to be there and see the fish as if he had pulled it in himself.

Now you just have to figure out how to get a Cobia this year!

Oh yeah, I'm keeping my Caper now that I know it can hang at the first island. Calvin said you got him by about 1/4 mile but that doesn't sound bad considering your yak is 4' longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great story Ric, can't wait to see the pic. I'm surprised at the level of cooperation it sounds like you got from the other boaters (power), but I guess they just wanted to see what you had as bad as you did. Congrats !!

·
Registered
253 Posts
No pic. Fish got away before we could take a pic. Lesson learned. Take a picture before trying to measure it. I had the tail in my hand but the fish was too slimey to hold. Can't wait to do it again. Next time I'm going to have to go against what I usually preach and bring some bait...crabs, clam...whatever will increase my chances of catching something. I think I'll also suggest an earlier launch so we can be ther at sunrise. That would be cool!

I did catch a bardog (Southern MD for toadfish).

Anyway, Rick really knows his stuff. Man is his Prowler fast. Maybe one day I'll get me one. But right now, the Caper did too well for me to see it off too soon.

The boats that were around us were all cooperative. Nice change from the usual HRBT bandits. You really gotta watch your back though. When we first got out there I heard a breaking wavve and looked behind me at some wake that had come up. Had to race to get out of that. When we decide to leave the boat traffic was getting pretty bad.

Comment of the day comes from an old guy up on the pier, "Now dat's jus dumb!"

Congratulations on that fish again. You did all the work and deserve all the credit!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've really enjoyed the challenge that the kayak has brought to my fishing and all the cool, like-minded people I've met in the Plastic Navy. Picking a mark, paddling to the spot, catching the fish, and getting back with the story. The list is definitely getting shorter. Black Drum - check. Red Drum - Check. I figured out how to get a cobia, ask Chad. Ocean Stripers - Check. We've got some plans for this summer - stay tuned. I freakin' love fishing!

As for the Caper vs. Prowler. Remember, we had ideal paddling conditions. Personally, I feel more confident in the bigger boat. I trust that if things got nasty (I've seen some nasty) that I'd be able to make it back to Terra Firma. I like expending as little energy as necessary and going as fast as possible in a kayak. Then again, Calvin was on it all day in the Caper. In the end, it is all about getting out on the water.

P.S. Tom, How's she doin'?

·
Registered
575 Posts
She's still doin'. She said I can't go fishing until after the baby comes. I might have to make a run out in the creek one morning before work though.

It doesn't surprise me that the boater's helped out. 90% of them are nice people. The other 10% can get you killed. When I was out at CBBT with Greg the other day an Cigarette boat barelled through the bridge spans at over 50 mph! What an a-hole.

Ric, the Caper will get you back in snotty weather too, just alot wetter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice job on the fish Ric, your persistence paid off. Wish I could have made the run but I was up in the James with the wife doing more paddling than fishing. Doesn't appear I'll get to use her Tarpon 120 as much as I had planned (can't get her out of it). Looking forward to the next run.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dude, we talked about it. I'm not making a Caper vs Prowler argument. The only thing the Caper's got going over the prowler is that it is easier to load onto the truck. All I'm saying is the Caper is a capable craft, and since I don't have the money right now I'm in no rush to buy the Prowler.

But if I had the money, I would definitley be ordering one tomorrow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dude, a 46 inch black drum!!!!
I see on your post about Kevin's 44 and that is a beast!!! That would of been some sleigh ride[smile] Congrats......now when is my turn?............... Seriously, I gotsta get back out on the water, my C legs are truning into D legs.........[grin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts