Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Wish a Fish event this Saturday - figured I'd clear my mind with quick fishing trip today. Decided to go alone - not sure how long approaching storms would allow me to fish. Figured incoming current would be good from 11 to about 2 so got calls done in morning and finally got launched at 11:30 - after stop at Anglers for bloodworms.

Had trolling gear and LTJ rods but wanted to try for some Spot and live line them. Friend shared an area he caught a few on Sunday so I ran there and began to search with meter. Still learning it but saw the bottom change in density and noticed some blips on bottom.

Dropped anchor in 20 feet and baited up two rods. Bloodworms were nice and fresh but small - got 4 baits out of a worm - OUCH.
When trying for Spot - I put one rod in holder and cast another up current and reel in slowly with a lot of pauses - to cover more area.

Got hit on rod in my hand but it was 6 inch Perch. Put it in livewell - along with 4-5 others in about 15 minutes. Was about to move when felt that Tap , tap , tap of a Spot but missed it - Golly ( yeah right ). Had another one on but it got loose - son of a golly.

Next one stayed hooked and went into livewell. Nice one about 8 inches - perfect size for bigger Rock. Had a mix of Perch and Spot - stopped baiting upper hook but damn Perch continued to hit the plain # 4 hook. Worms were going fast but had about 10 Spot.

Two Mallard ducks flew by and landed next to boat - drake and a hen. Wonder if same pair from last year - tossed them some bread crust from sandwich.

Heard a weird sound from helm - buzzing noise - and looked at new fishfinder. It was Ok - then realized noise was from VHF. Some one was using the distress button but heard Coast Guard talking to boater - it was a mistake.

Pulled anchor and ran to east side - no secret as most boats are fishing here. Saw charters from Deale and Chesapeake Beach running back - so knew there were still fish around.

Put over a live Spot and drifted it deep. Did not take long to feel it get nervous - then get hit. Muffed the hook set - hook rolled into the Spot - rather then pull free and catch the Rock. Number two got pulled from hook but number three Spot brought in a nice 26 incher.

Moved back and set out number four - it got hit going towards bottom. Rock pulled free but I could still feel Spot on hook so gently twitched rod. Got hit again - only to miss again. Tried Perch for short time - no hits on them at all.

Missed two more - I'm thinking smaller Rock - but then got hit and line moved off fast. Set hook and had hands full with a fat 32 incher. Perfect timing as current was slowing and wind was picking up - it was only 1:45.

Ran back towards Sandy Point but stopped at something I saw on meter in 24 feet. Drifted it with last few bloodworms - cut the little things in two for 1 1/2 inch baits. Got few Perch - two over 11 that went into cooler. Called it an early day - still a lot of last minute things to do for Wish a Fish.

Tough to beat a short trip that yields such a good catch and so much fun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice report. I figured you'd be the first to report a descent spot catch around the bridge area. Well done as always. Wish I could get out as much as you.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin - I'm lucky enough to live only 25 miles from Sandy Point ramps. Barring traffic - I can be fishing one hour after leaving the house.

Makes a short 3-4 hour trip possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts