Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally was able to take my boat to OC to do some shark fishing. Been wanting to do this the past couple of years but unable to get down. Took vacation from 6/1-6/5. Showed up Monday with some wind and fished the inlet with no luck. Closely watching NOAA and Buoyweather Monday into Tuesday for Weather report. NOAA showed 2-3ft seas with 8 second interval at 4:30am Tuesday. Wind was forecasted to be 5-10 knots Tuesday afternoon. Buoyweather was much the same report. Decided Tuesday morning to go for it as the rest of the week looked poor. Picked up chum and bait and headed to the Jackspot. SE wind in our face on the way but was able to make 15-17knots and stayed dry. Got there placed chum in the water and within 5minutes was covered with blacktips and spinners. Caught 7 sharks in 45 minutes and lost 1. Quiet for about 30 minutes and lost another one and no sooner placed the rod in the holder another rod went off. Brought that fish in and the water started to kick up pretty good. Wind now seemed to be blowing from the NE. Decided things were getting bad so pulled lines and headed back. Was only able to get 8-10knots on the way back. Absolutely drenched and froze when we finally made the inlet. Ride was much worse on the way in. Checked the NOAA site and they changed their report and posted SCA at noon. Weather man definitely blew that report. Glad we made it back safe. Didn't put the boat back in the water and came home a day early. Overall very disappointing but for 90 minutes it was pretty cool. Just wished we could have fished longer. Would have liked to see what else may have showed up in the chum slick. Coming down for 2 weeks in July so hopefully will get good weather then. Looking forward to shark trip next year. Hope the weather turns for the better soon so you guys can get out and get some fishing done. Tight Lines.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I feel your pain. Spent the hole winter making shark rigs and getting ready for our first season with a new boat. Havent been able to make it, work and family commitments have kept us on land.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
If you fish offshore often - you'll learn the weather forecasters are demon spawn.

We got our a$$es handed to us once - forecasted NW at 10-15 turned ugly at NE at 20-25 gusts to 35.

Slugging our way back in a 25 footer at 7-12 knots from Hot Dog - my buddy commented " When I get to shore - I'm raping the weatherman - and I'm not gay ".

Lightened the mood and we made best of a 5 hour slow trip back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"And the beat goes on" year in and year out no matter the weather buoys, satellites, and every other tax payer paid high tech device the level of accuracy remains mainly ****. Look at the isobars and make a judgment call.

Good news was that we did get out over Memorial day and put a keeper Mako in the boat for my 15 year old son. I then proceeded to pound what's left of my aging back into dust coming home in a very stiff breeze out of the south that was supposed to be diminishing. Was worth it though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts