Tidal Fish Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,356 Posts
I was just saying that I haven't seen a pheasant in close to 40 years. When the bottom fell out of the fur trade, the fox population exploded and did them in .

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I was just saying that I haven't seen a pheasant in close to 40 years. When the bottom fell out of the fur trade, the fox population exploded and did them in .
Never really had them here, but had a relative with a farm in Carrol county and he had them.
And dogs!

What I really miss is quail!

Haven't even heard one in 10 years or more.
And probably haven't shot one in 30-40 years.

DID run into a bunch of woodcock a few years back. Days after the season ended!

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,356 Posts
I used to hunt with a man who raised quail. Tasty little birds.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,356 Posts
NC did a quail nest predation some years back and feral/ house cats and hawks were the biggest problem, by far.
Which is why if I catch Mr. Fluffkins on the farm he won't be coming home. I hate outside cats.

Reactions: Progger

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,356 Posts
I have a cat roaming my property at night chasing rabbits. I have him on camera several times.I'm going to trap him and take him on a ride.........Gary
I have 25 chickens and a damn cat can do a hell of a lot of damage overnight. Mooshie ate one about 6 months ago, M was less than pleased about it, lol.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Those were the days in the 60's & 70's when Maryland had its share of wild pheasants on Western Shore. You didn't need a dog as just walking the corn fields for your limit of 2 birds.
Yes and remember all the quail. I absolutely loved quail hunting . And pheasant hunting. Now for bird hunting ducks and geese . And if there not on grain or corn Yuk.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts