Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Skeeter had been on the hard since Thanksgiving, but I had two occasions to take her out this weekend. The first was an impromptu raft up with JP Williams on Friday, then me and cousin Kevin (apparently the only one able to make the 11 a.m. New Years Day wake-up call) got out for a few hours Saturday. Water temps hung around 36 degrees but large portions of basically every creek remained frozen. We did most our damage on the main river, where Kevin stuck a 23-1/4-inch pickerel on a 4-inch curly tail B.A. and I a 23-1/2 incher on a suspending jerkbait additionally weighted to hang still in the water for long periods. (Editor's Note: Check out the tail on my fish!) We also caught a nice yellow perch inside the mouth of one creek.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Nice goin, Chris. I thought about how nice it would be to be fishing today with the "warm" temps - - sure beats the the heck out of the 20* temps and 30 kt winds of late.

Looks like another pickerel tried to take a bite out of the tail of the one you caught !!!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Well done! I'm sure the skeeter was glad to get wet again.

Okay, E... it's time... YOU bring the camera this year, though :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Nice work Chris! I am glad your pickerel catching gene hasn't gone recessive like mine apparently has!

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Well played and nice fish. Great way to get creative with the lure presentation.

I tried the upper-River yesterday from shore with the kids, but it was mostly still iced-over. The weather over the next few days won't help matters....looks like the main River will continue to be the best option for the next week or two, at least. The far-upper-Severn doesn't really hit its stride until late-Feb, anyways.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nice size fish Chris. Am I familiar with the spot?

Goose, the main river has always been better for me, although the largest pickerel I ever caught came from a creek (26" in late November). I always thought that pickerel were a creek-dwelling entity until a fellow Tfer showed me otherwise (no, it wasn't Virgil). Look for grass.

Mark, I don't think you've lost it, I just think you're hitting it at the wrong time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts