Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Thank You"
.......Have never fished this far up the Bay before ...Cut, RP, 59A etc. Come out of Lynnhaven Inlet under the Lesner Bridge and it's 50+ miles straight shot to the RP for us. Fished a lot in December, maybe 9 or 10 trips to the area. Some good days, some really good days, no really bad days except for the relentless fog for a while. When my bride and I left the huge mass of fish/bait/birds 2 miles west of 46 just before dark on New Year's Eve I tried to give everyone a shout on 68 and 72 to offer up my "thanks" to the bunch of what I'd like to call "real deal" fishermen who were willing to share/trade fish location info, head's up on barges in the fog (although I'm lucky enough to have a working radar), and some great humor. "Share it" Monday even happened on T, W, Th, & F. Bottom Line ---- Thanks to all the Fishing Courtesy that was extended to F/V Chum Bucket and crew. At 63 yrs. old, the chances of remembering more than one or two handles is a no go. But ... Sundance ... the help was much appreciated ... and Jig-A-Byte ... the success the last day was a lot to do with your aiming us in the right direction. So .... Thanks!

Last Day Fishing Report
(...Had fished the day before ...Wed. 30th ... with my son and another fishing buddy. Ended up finding fish (30" range) late in the day on a North South line in about 70 to 80 foot near vic RP. Lots and lots of radio help about an impending storm moving up the Bay. It never really showed up with a vengeance but the warning info was much appreciated. Blue over Green Stretch 25 or 30 and a Pearl 6" Tomic replacing the 6oz. white chute on a 6oz. - 12oz. white chute tandem rig seemed to be what worked. Ride home was 50 miles of fog, darkness, spitting rain, radar-radar-radar and more radar.) My bride of 29 years decided she wanted to go fishing on the last day of Bay Season. Who am I to do anything but say bring it on to the person who punches my "liberty card" any time I want to go drag a line. Solid early start and had to stop within sight of Wolftrap Light due to the large bait balls and really nice boomerangs on the machine. Pulled a smorgasbord for about 45 minutes with no runs, no hits, no errors, no bumps, no fish. Quick chat with Gig-A-Byte soon thereafter and we were headed up to the lower half of the cut. Did not boat anything but throwbacks until later in the day. Someone sounded the dinner bell from maybe 1pm to 5pm. Blue over Green Stretch 30 was apparently on the menu (along with a little 1/8 oz. buck tail w/curly gotcha on a 20 foot leader behind a 3lb. mojo off the bottom). Lots of fish in the 30" range. A few larger fish but none kept on Chum Bucket (2 person limit was done before we stumbled on the few larger fish). I've attached a pic of the night slice-and-dice as well as a split-ring failure on a Stretch 30 that I've never experienced before. I'd like to think that the fish on the other end of this Stretch 30 ...before the ring let go ...was a real slob. It sure felt that way for a minute or so. I've straightened treble hooks on Stretch 30's (when I've been to lazy to replace to stock hook with something mores substantial) but I've n-e-v-e-r seen a split ring fail like this when Striper fishing. I've had seen split rings fail offshore when split rings had no place being used in the first place ... but while striper fishing ... on a Stretch 30 ... nope!

Happy New Year to all ... thanks for the quality fishing experience with a quality crowd. Fingers crossed for an Ocean Season this year that actually involves Striped Bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Great Report - Thanks for posting!

On another thread, I mentioned the need to replace stock Stretch 25 hooks with stronger ones when going for big rockfish. It sounds like the same goes for the stock split rings. I have read about others experiencing the same split ring problem. Most of my issues have been with the hooks.

hook1.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Congrats on your success! The RP area did me right this year as well. First year in a long time that Stripers hit the deck of my boat. Even my salty old Dad who had given up on rock in the Bay was all smiles the day after Christmas when we put five nice ones (22-29") onboard. Two weekends before and with another crew at the same area, we put six onboard (24-33").

Something about the blue seems to really drive them wild. My success was on either a blue/silver Stretch 25 or Tomic 5".

Don't know if you cut your fish belly's open, but several of the bigger fish were full of decent size menhaden. Makes me wonder if that is what is really holding them up north.

Congrats again and welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts