Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm taking some friends to the lower Potomac next sunday, weather permitting......
Any tips to keep in mind, or areas I should look hard at? No need to give me your super secret GPS coords.
We'd like to catch some croaker/spot if they're around, and we'd like to then try and catch some blues and rocks trolling or with croaker/spot for bait.
Open to suggestions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was out there today an found a few birds working..... Blues. Be sure to have some wire leaders they do like to bite the line... I haven't seen any birds over rock yet this year but have had fun with the blues several times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How far do you want to travel? If you want great size blues I would fish out of Buzz's. Fish the middle grounds Mike is always willing to give out great info of where the big fish are. If you don't want to go into the bay point lookout has been holding alot of blues but not much size to them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get on the radio when you get on the water. Channel 68 you can find fellow tf'er by the name of chadpole. He will be fishing on a boat named "Makin time". I think for now he planes to fish around point lookout area toward the target ship. He will be trolling for rock/spanish and livelining some spot. Tell Him you are a tf'er and he will tell you what he's catching and how..Tell him garry told you to call him. I also heard a couple of tidal fish guys on the radio this weekend sharing some up to date intel. Monitor channel 68. Good luck and have fun. :fishing2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jamisjockey

If you are planning on fishing out in the bay this weekend the weather forecast looks like it will be a little sporty both days. I copied this from the Chesapeake board.

FORECASTS OF WAVE HEIGHTS DO NOT INCLUDE EFFECTS OF WIND DIRECTION RELATIVE TO TIDAL CURRENTS. EXPECT HIGHER WAVES WHEN WINDS ARE BLOWING AGAINST THE TIDAL FLOW. ANZ534-150630- CHESAPEAKE BAY FROM DRUM POINT TO SMITH POINT- 313 PM EDT TUE OCT 14 2008 TONIGHT S WINDS 10 KT...BECOMING W LATE. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. WED N WINDS AROUND 5 KT. WAVES LESS THAN 1 FT. WED NIGHT S WINDS 5 KT. WAVES LESS THAN 1 FT. THU S WINDS 5 KT. WAVES LESS THAN 1 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. THU NIGHT SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NW 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 1 FT...BUILDING TO 2 TO 3 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. FRI N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN. FRI NIGHT NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 2 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN. SAT N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN. SUN N WINDS 15 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT

If you are staying in the river and stay towards the MD side you might get a little break from the north winds. Chadpole and I will be fishing Saturday on the Mak'n Time like said out in the middle grounds. If you make it down that way hit us up on 68.

Good luck down there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure at this point if I'm going out, watching the WX still and have a big project to do around the house.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay unless its a blowout I'll be out on the lower Potomac sunday. don't have enough time to go all the way to the bay, I'll put in a few hours exploring and trolling around the river and see what happens.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Weather is looking decent for you on Sunday. Here it is from forecast.weather.gov

SUN
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING S AROUND 5 KT. WAVES 1 FT.

But looking a little worse for us on going out around 70-72a on Saturday.

SAT
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.

SAT NIGHT
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. WAVES 3 TO
5 FT.

So it looks like it might be a blow out for us running into the bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts