Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was off this week and planned on fishing, and I keep my boat at Marina Shores so I decided to enter the Million Dollar Rockfish challenge mainly just for the experience. Had a great crew, TF member Ratwood, and buddies John and Craig, all experienced fisherman. I've only been saltwater fishing about a year and a half, and this is my first season fishing the bay/ocean, never fished for rockfish in the ocean until last week, so I wasn't expecting much. Knowing we where going to have to run south, John got us a slip in Rudee for Wed/Thur night to make the morning run a little shorter. We didn't really want to make the run in the dark without radar, so we met at the boat at 6:30 and we headed south to the Duck research peir. Started catching fish soon after we got lines in, put 6 in the box and started releasing the smaller fish. Got a hook up that we thought was a monster fish, ended up being our 2 biggest of the day on a tandem rig at 42" and 40", the bigger puked up 2 12" menhaden when we got it in the boat. Ran back to Rudee and met with the tournament rep who drove Ratwood back to Marina shores with our 2 fish for the weigh in, 52.25 lbs. Didn't clock exactly how far we ran, but we where able to run about 40 mph both ways and burned 65 gals of fuel.
Later in the evening we found out that 9th and 10th place where only 1/2 lb ahead of us, should have shoved those menhaden back down the fishes throat:eek2:

Today we had to take the boat back to Marina shores so we met there at 6:30 and left a couple cars then headed to the boat at Rudee. Got to the Duck peir around 8:30 and found cold water so kept heading south. Found the warmer water and 1000 other boats about 5 miles south and got lines out around 9:00. Had 6 fish in the box in 30-40 minutes and started throwing back fish looking for a couple big ones. Steady action all morning with many double, and even a triple hook up, kept a fat 38" fish that weighed 27lbs. We figured we'd need at least 65-70lbs today to get in the top 10, so after catching 15-20lb fish all morning, around noon we decided to keep the next fish for our limit and head back and not weigh in. Got back to Marina shores and started cleaning the boat and fish, and as boats started weighing in fish we realized that our fish today where very good, although wouldn't have raised our overall standing in the tournament.

So the tournament was a great experience, but I realized that I'm more a rec fisherman than a tournament fisherman, we didn't get lines in the water until way after start time, and left both days an hour before lines out. That said, we caught around 50 fish in 2 days of fishing, didn't loose a single fish, and had respectable fish both days, and we all had a great time.:yes:

Had a camera on the boat, but it so hectic both days we didn't snap the first pic.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nice report and sounds like you're into the saltwater scene pretty deep. Congrats on the fish and keep the reports up!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jay,

Great report. I was out yesterday too. It's good to hear that you got into some good ones.

Henri

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay,

Great report. I was out yesterday too. It's good to hear that you got into some good ones.

Henri
Thanks Henri,

Did you catch some fish yesterday? My crew is chomping at the bit to get back out there, next time I have some room I'll give you a call.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jaybr,

The quality Fish were about 1/2 to 1 mile south of the Old Kitty Hawk Pier out about 1-2.2 miles. Find the lumps on te chart and you will find fish. Yesterday our bast bite was on White and red. Also heard a few other Captains citing White as the way to go. We trolled a mix of Chartreusse and Whit/Red. We HAD LINES IN BY 9:00 AND limited BY 11. CAUGHT A FEW THROW BACK SO WE WERE BEING A LITTLE PICKY. Also as the sun got higher we raised the baits about 8 cranks and got hits on almost every pass pver a school. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Henri,

Did you catch some fish yesterday? My crew is chomping at the bit to get back out there, next time I have some room I'll give you a call.
Jay,

We got 10 before the bite stopped. It was a great day to be on the water.

I'm looking forward to the next time out. Good luck.

Henri

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Tourney's are all about having a good time with the crew:thumbup:. Catching fish is a bonus.:yes:

Phil (lily):))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts