Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past two months, I made a bunch of kayak fishing trips casting soft plastics and metal spinners in Severn creeks. Other than one small pickerel in late March, I did not hook a single fish. The perch had not yet arrived in their shoreline summer homes.

I am pleased to report that this morning I found at least one stretch of shoreline that had a bunch of fat and feisty perch in their typical summer location.

I started out the morning trying to bottom fish near the Naval Academy bridge with bloodworms. I caught one perch in about 4 drifts, but ended up loosing two bottom rigs. I was not pleased with that ratio, so I moved to the shallows on the upstream/Annapolis side of the bridge. There is a small point that is lined with rip-rap. I paddled about 100 ft away from shore (it was about 5-6' deep today with the high water level). I cast toward the shore and some times parallel to the shore. I picked up about a dozen nice perch, with the largest at 11".

Fisherman Fish Salmon-like fish Fishing Recreational fishing

I continued moving along that shoreline in an upstream direction, but the water seemed slightly more murky. I had no more bites. When I paddled back to the previous spot, the perch were there again and bit my beetle spin with white twister tail.

I had a 30 minute paddle back to the ramp and was getting sunburned legs and butt fatigue. I left the perch biting and headed home.

Back in Weems Creek, I saw TFer Bignose fishing from a canoe with an electric trolling motor. He had not had any luck fishing in Weems today. I expect that in another week or so, especially when the rains settle down and water clarity can improve, the summer fishing pattern will be on.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glad to hear things are getting back to normal in the Severn. That's a nice perch in the picture, too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
John,
It was a pleasure meeting you after reading all of your postings.

After admiring some of the scenic wonders of Weems Creek,
I actually did manage to catch several perch up to 9", but not in any great quantity. They're not quite up under the docks yet.
Spinner jigs and gulp minnows on a jig were both working. In addition to dock hopping, I've also found that some of the channel marker edges hold perch, stripers, and spot, but they're a bit far away from the scenic wonders on the docks. I'll try again after the holiday boat traffic calms down. Too many big boats kicking up too many wakes out on the main stem of the Severn.

Tried the Magothy today, but caught nothing but dink perch. Then it got too stinking hot!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I will be over at Kent Narrows for the CCA tourney this weekend. I am hoping to go after some fly and ULT perchies next weekend....

Ernie

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good luck with that Ernie. Alot of my Maryland Kayak Fishing buddies will be there..

Mike (Grady Black)

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike -

I squeezed in an hour and 20 min trip yesterday afternoon in Weems Creek. I got home just before the thunder started. The water was not terribly clear. Some of the shorelines had quite a bit of filamentous green seaweed. I tried a series of my near-ramp casting spots. I did catch perch at at least 5 different locations. I was casting to dock pilings and shorelines. The bite was not fast and furious, but at least the perch are up in the shallows in many of the typical summer spots. Most of the fish were caught on a gold beetle spin rig with small white twister tail. I got one or two fish using a 2" Storm swimming minnow that happened to be on my spare rod from another trip. The first fish was 8" to 10". The rest were smaller ones.

Woody from the SRRKC board reports strong recent perch catches by focusing on areas in shadow. He fishes the Severn several times each week for perch and is quite an accomplished angler.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks John,
I was debating on kayaking Weems or in and around the Shady Lake area. Your report surely helps! I always look for Woody's post for his section of the river and your reports for our section. I think I'm gonna head up into the Creek early tomorrow morning and see how it goes, come along if you are free..

[email protected]
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.