Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I fished for YP (yellow perch) for the first time. I thought if I didn't make it on the last Saturday, then I might have to wait because the river would freeze soon. As not being an experienced freshwater angler, I was not sure about lures and jigging techniques for YP. But found the lure worked for the day. Except low air temperature (29-30F noon, 26F after 5:00PM), the Susquehanna River near Perryville and Havre De Grace, MD was quite kayaking-friendly (meaning courteous anglers and calm water).

I caught 19 YP (6 undersized and 13 @9-12") for about 4.5 hours. I learned that braided line sticks to the ice formed on the rod, rod guides and spool. Next time I may use thin mono line on a cold day.

Jean Roberts Memorial Park comes with a concrete boat ramp. There is a strip of soft pad on one side of the ramp for kayak launch. Ramp usage is free for kayak launch.

Here is my video fishing log:
http://www.youtube.com/user/comeonfish01#p/u/0/os_g-2zdiak

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Awesome report, Joe. As I sat inside working on Saturday, I was wondering if you made it out. Catching yellow perch is fun, isn't it? Did your wife like them?

When the perch are shallower (~20ft or less) in March, a jigging blade like a Silver Buddy or Cicada works really well. The ones I've caught with this type of lure seem to hit it when it hits the bottom or first comes off the bottom, unlike stripers that hit things as they fall.

http://tinyurl.com/644aurf

I carry different sizes and colors, but I like 3/8oz and 1/2oz. I like the silver ones and silver and chartreuse.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill, and MOC
They are surely delicious. Very tasty fish. Now I am hooked on YP fishing. I brought a blade. But my blade is ¾ oz and the water was too deep for it. All my YP were caught on the bottom. I think 1.5 oz blade (if there is such thing) and 10# test braided will do it. WP were more more aggressive than I thought. I am not hesitant to use bigger lures or lures that vibrates (more action) next time. Perhaps I will use 3” lures not 2” lures. I also think a small spinner arm and twister tail will work great. Whenever I move, I will move slowly and drag the spinner arm bouncing on the bottom. One tandem rig I saw, is also good I think. The upper lure is jig head + twiser and the lower lure is an 1 oz casting spoon. I think 1 ¼ oz casting spoon will be better than 1 oz on this tandem rig. The place is deep.

joe

I saw some people using bull minnow. To me lures were better than bull minnow in both quantity and quality department.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Thanks, cool vedio... maybe I should say COLD vedio. I got cold just watching it, especially when your rod guides froze up and it started snowing. Glad you got into your first yperch. Probably the most colorful fish in the Bay. Looked like that one yperch had a 4"-5" baitfish sticking halfway out it's mouth. Just goes to show even 4" plastics might work well too.

Were there any other canoes/kayaks out there besides you and the guy in the canoe? Actually it looked like there were only a couple other boats in the area, which surprised me, I was expecting to see a dozen or more boats.

Next decent break in the weather and I'll have to launch my canoe and see if I can get into those Susky yperch.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Friday,

Is that the Hobie Revolution? If so, thoughts. I'm looking at a few different Kayaks WS Tarpon, Hobie Outback and Revolution.

Glenn
Mine is Hobie Adventure. I have Tarpon 140 also. For most of people under 220#, I think Revolution (Revo) is a good choice. Adventure is too long for most of the fishing water and needs. Revo is much better for all purposes I think.

If you can afford buy a Revo or Hobie with Mirage Drive. I catch more fish (not bragging) fish on Hobie (with Mirage Drive) than on Taron. On a Hobie, because of hand-free operation (most of time), one line is in the water allways. Unlike on regular kayak, I fish almost 100% of time. I take video, eat, drink while trolling one lure. Most of time I fish with two lines (two different lures). I cast and retrieve one line while I am trolling one. I move around crowded area while fishing one.

On a Hobie, I think I fish twice as much as I fish on a regular kayak. An also, I can hit the edges certain angle because I can control the direction while fishing.

On the video or other video, I tried to show tow lines in the water. I have left-handed reel and right-handed reel. Also, on the video, I am constantly moving toward certain directions with two lines in the water

Look for ta used Hobie, and be the first person showing up.

joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Pathfinder--Easton Kayak Shop has 20% off all their new boats, including Hobies. It might be a bit of a drive for you, but that would be ~$360 off, which might be worth the drive. I've heard good things about the shop. The sale isn't listed, but here's the shop's website:

http://www.eastoncycleandsport.com/

Incidentally, I also have a 12ft Tarpon for fishing shallow/rocky creeks and rivers, but I do 95% of my fishing from a Hobie. I agree with everything Joe said about the advantages of fishing from a Hobie. Plus, pedaling against wind, tide, and waves is far easier (at least for me) than paddling. Furthermore, I can hold my position against wind, tide, and waves while still fishing, which is much more difficult to do while paddling.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Guys,
Thanks for the info. and I talked to Ryan today about his inventory. I'm going to the Timonium show on Friday and look at the Hobie booth as well as others. Since I'm strickly going to be using the kayak for fishing I can't find a reason not to buy a Hobie. Outback or Revo????? I read for over an hour today on the internet reading everyones views as to which is the better kayak to buy and it boils down to buy both. Not in my cards, maybe the Revo.

Glenn

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pathfinder,

I too am eyeing a new yak. I have a 12 foot tarpon, but I am looking at the Hobie Rev and I too am going to the fishing show on Sat. I will talk to the Hobie guys there too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Moc,

I'm really struggling between Revo and Outback which seems to be the norm when you read hundreds of comments on kayak forums. I'm hoping the Hobie people can help. The only thing that gets me with the Outback is that if I'm miles from the ramp and the Mirage breaks it could be a bear to paddle back, but that could be the trade off for the extra stability. The speed issue I need clarified as well because there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference between the two after all the reading.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw a big guy on a Pro Angler. He moves well when we fished side by side. I saw Bill moving (Outback) on the water about a foot chop. He seemed moving well. If your regular distance is less than 10 miles you will be OK with any kayaks. And the most of time I assume that you will be on the water less than 1.5' chop. you will be ok with any kayaks. Many times I paddle only for miles for fun. When paddling, keep the rudder up, fins tugged on side. Hobie is not slower than other kayak of the similar spec.

joe

·
Registered
397 Posts
Moc,

I was dissappointed at the show. Mare marine was useless, they new nothing about the Hobie brand and did not have a Revo. I'm torn between the Tarpon 120 angler and biting the bullet and spending the $$$ for a Revo.

Glenn

·
Registered
999 Posts
Moc,

I was dissappointed at the show. Mare marine was useless, they new nothing about the Hobie brand and did not have a Revo. I'm torn between the Tarpon 120 angler and biting the bullet and spending the $$$ for a Revo.

Glenn
Moc and Pathfinder 2200,

I think I'm gonna sell my Hobie Adventure kayak. I love this kayak but I want to do more crabbing this year, so I'm shopping for a 17-ft Skiff to use for crabbing. I won't have time to use both and can't afford both, a kayak and a boat. I have crabbed from my kayak and canoe but want something with a little more room for crabbing. Send me a message if you are interested and I can send you the details.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pathrinder, I was disappointed with the show too. It was good talking to Chris and I also ran into another kayaker from Tidalfish. I checked out the Hobie Kayaks area and got a broshure, but they did not seem to was to show off their kayaks. I looked around for awhile and no one came up to me to ask me if I had any questions. I am leaning to the Revo. I know several kayakers on this board and they have Revo's . One has both and he siad that the Outback is like a barge when it comes to paddling. ALso I already had a 12 foot yak, and would like one alittle longer, so I am thinking the Revo will fit the bill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts