Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to the beach on Saturday to pull the boat for the winter and wanted to get out and try to catch a rockfish or 2 or anything else for that matter. Have fished the bay a ton but only fish offshore out of OC. Anyone have any pointers for a first timer fishing inside the 3 mile line (who also can't troll less than 4 kts)? Would prefer to fish outside the inlet due to manuverability but would be willing to stay inside. I was planning on running up and down the beach looking for marks and birds and jigging/casting like on the bay. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

By the way, if anyone is interested in coming along, we have plenty of room (only two so far).

·
Registered
212 Posts
look for gannets and gulls working, you might try blind trolling the Little Gull Shoal,, some of which is outside of 3 miles, or any other small shoal,, weather looks crappy for this week-end, phil

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I will out there dragging around as well in a 23' Maycraft center....hit me on ch#1 "Baron Sea"----try the humps north of the inlet and make sure you stay inside the 3 mile line. Johnny law will board and check if you are fishing out side of that for sure. Drag a few stretch's and the usall stuff and catch um up

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like it's going to blow but I'll probably poke my head out to see if there are any birds working! We troll 3kts in the bay. Would 4 1/2 - 5 kts be a waste of time?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I try to stay from 2.5--4.5...Just depends on the mood of the fish and what I am dragging...Try dirrerent speeds til you get bit and stick with that for a while. I have found the Ocean fish to be a little different from the ones in the bay ( not as picky)...Catch um up:thumbup:

What kind of boat you running??

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rich. It is a 29 Blackfin (diesels with no trolling valves). Might have to run one engine. Looks like Saturday is going to be a little snotty though!

·
Premium Member
26,247 Posts
One of the sure ways to find Rock in the ocean is to see Gannets diving.Most times Rock will be under the baitfish.Turn off your motor and allow the boat to drift into the frenzy.Small diamond jigs like a 2 oz Sting Silver are good as well as the soft plastics like 10'' BKD's on 2 oz leadheads.

Trolling over 3 knots for Rock is iffy but if nothing else you can watch your meter-then stop and jig over them.Trolling fast might give you a surprise Bluefish/late Bluefin or even a small Thresher shark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts