Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit, I can now definitely see why a lot of people target Rockfish. I usually do not. I spend a lot of time bottom fishing for croaker, perch, spot and occassionally drum. As a result, I have never caught my limit on Rockfish while on my boat. I pick up one here and there, but never two.

Today I started off at #1 on one of the six oyster beds I have marked in my GPS. I caught a lot of perch on those beds. My sister in Wester PA usually plans on the day after Thanksgiving being a fish fry. I am supply the fish. Bloodworms from Marty's were the ticket today. I even caught and released a 17 inch rockfish on bloodworms.

Around 4:00 the radio went nuts. I heard tydog, goingfishin, swartj, onefish, and Captain John Deering talking about a whole bunch of fish hitting the surface just about a mile south of Bloody Point. I decided to head for Bloody Point to see what was happening.

When I got to Bloody Point, it was pretty obvious where everyone was fishing. It was a frenzy. There were people trolling, and people LTJing, and people just casting. I floated around on the end and watched for a bit. It was almost comical.

I did what someone on this board had suggested and figured out what direction the school was headed. I ran in that direction and stopped. The fish came right to me. I was in the middle of the fish jigging a BKD. No bites. Then I started casting the BKD and bringing it right back to the boat. Still no bites. I tossed a circle hook with a piece of spot on it, no bites still.

I gave up and started to head home. Then I saw Andy on the Hurricane. He was LTJing a stingsilver with a feather and getting hit all the time. I set up right next to him and did the same thing. I hooked up right away and brought a 20 inch fish to the boat. I went back down and picked up an 18 inch fish, which I returned to the water. The next hook up was a 19 incher which I kept. I tossed the stingsilver three more times and brought three more fish to the boat, all of which I released.

I went home happy, with my first ever limit on Rockfish on my boat. Now maybe my wife will get me that digital camera I asked for so I can start posting pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Atta Boy Joe!!!

when you're in a mess of fish like that, it can be a real blast

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Joe

AWESOME buddy. I am sorry we did not get to talk much. as you saw on our boat it was choas with all the trolling rods, LTJ rods, and all the other **** I carry. Glad to see you got your limit. Good call on waiting on the fish to come to you. B-mail your cell phone so I can call on it in the future when we are out there.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Great Job Joe way to work them I believe when in doubt do what the other guy is doing then when it works you are 2 of smartest guys in the room and when it doesn't you are not alone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Way to clean up on those rockfish at the end there Joe. Now you've got the main course for your Thanksgiving fishfry.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Nice job Joe:thumbup: Jigging is not my normal approach as well. Thanks to Mlag (Mark) and Skip, had too much success with LL. That must have been exciting. ...Don

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Great job on the rock :thumbup: Now you'll be hooked on them.

It was a zoo there all day but the fish weren't as active when we were there. Made for a little less chaos.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Congrats on your first limit of rock:thumbup: Warning........catching rock can be addicting:yes: Definately don't try the livelining thing or you'll never look at spot the same:D Congrats again.......................Mark

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

I did a lot of LL during the blues run this year. I found that floating pieces of previously frozen spot worked just as well. I have five dozen small spot in the freezer.

Thanks for all the help. I will definitely be out next week. Maybe I can continue. I want to get my son out there as well. It was definitely fun.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Way to go Joe, glad you were able to make your way acrossed to where the fish are;-)

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Nice job Joe. It can get a little hectic with all those boats around doing all types of fishing. It was nice seeing you out there.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rockfish are significantly thicker than perch, so the filets worked for one of my favorite dishes, blackened fish. It was excellent with a little white wine and the last of the year's tomato slices drizzled with olive oil and basil.

I have got to get a few more of those for my sister's house at Thanksgiving.

See you all next week if the fish are still hitting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice work Joe... Rockfish on the plate for Thanksgiving is only second to Rockfish stuffed with crabmeat on the plate.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi Joe,

I found that the feesh were on top or suspended most of the time. I did not do well on the bottom.

I also got most of my feesh on 7 in ba's/jig or bucktail head.

for the suspended feesh I think it was Jamie the other day described:
casting and keeping it fairly tight as it was falling. I would let it fall about 1/2 way and then jerk up and let it fall on a controlled line. Jerk it up, then let it fall, I got a number of hits on the fall.

It was like practicing for the rips.

I am in the process of redoing my double rigs.
Good luck.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts