Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Interesting article. I've read similar, but never one that addresses color perception by the fish. How do we know fish even see colors? I guess they probably do. I agree with the contrasting colors idea in the article. I started doing that this year with dyes and no doubt it's improved my strike ratio. I also think smells matter because it results in more follow-up strikes.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
One other thing to look at is how fish see colors when looking up.The silhoutte will show more of a shade then a true color.I swim on my back alot diving to look up and try to see what fish see.

One reason I gave up worrying about head colors on trolling parachutes- the fish really can not see all the detail from underneath and 3-4 knots.I feel the profile of the lure is most important.Color for me is more a light VS dark type thing.The upper bay waters when dirty mean Rock are feeding more by feel then sight.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A good example of the contrast thought is the success that can be had by running the deep purples and even black sassy shads in the spring when the water is murky.

On the smae note if the water is really dark white can also provide good contrast.

I have heard the chartreuse and more neon colors require sublight to be at their most effective.

Shawn K,

You were a largemouth fisherman originally before moving to MD, what colors did you experience to be the best depending water clarity and color?

Chris.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is why this site is so great!

I am in Northern Italy this week visiting our daughter, which is aw onderful way to spend the Holidays. But it is so nice to be able to read posts like this and stay connected to great information and timely reports!

Saltrodder
Annapolis / Aviano

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Shawn K,

You were a largemouth fisherman originally before moving to MD, what colors did you experience to be the best depending water clarity and color?

Chris.
Hard to generalize but definitely dark purple for deep fishing plastic worms. I pour my own and put a bright red tip on the tail. I use lighter colors for slugos and worms fished closer to the surface. For plugs, pearl pearl pearl. Especially in murky water which is usual for TVA lakes. Pearl doesn't work to good in the clear mountain lakes though. For night fishing I used lighter colors for crankbaits except on very dark nights when I really like black and gold. Overall, I use much brighter colors for striper fishing than for freshwater bassing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts