Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well stopped to check on the boat today and found 6 inches of water in starboard fish box. Bottom part of it frozen solid. I found a frozen puddle lying on my hard top. When it is melting it runs down to the zipper in my cover and comes in that way. My question is what do I need to do now beside fix the leak? Are my pumps to the fish box shot? I did run them dry and added a little anti-freeze. I did try and run them but nothing. Any suggestions would help. Thanks. I hate this cold thing.

Chad

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
I had a 2052 trophy with fish boxes on the floor. Used to fill with water all the time and freeze in the winter if you did nothing. I would put a gallon of -100 degree non toxic antifreeze in each fish box and it would keep them in good shape all winter.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Best thing to do is very careful - I mean CAREFULLY - get as much ice out as you can without beating on the box.Cold platic is very brittle.
You'll have to thaw the rest- again -carefully and slowly.A hair dryer works good for this.Keep melting/bailing until you got most of it- then you wait until we get a few warm days to melt the ice in the hose and pump.Hopefully- nothing burst/broke but be prepared for some damage.Sometimes you get lucky and a hose will slip it's clamp.Turn the pump on and see what happens.It does sound like she iced up.

Once everything is thawed - be sure to run antifreeze through the pump.

Where is your boat at ?

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Watch using hot water. I learned an expensive lesson once about thermal shock.If plastic and some glass is heated too rapidly - it breaks :eek2::eek2:.

I'm guessing your fishbox plastic is rated for cold - thinking iced fish - rather then heat.

You might get away with warm water and keep bailing it but watch truely hot water.Weather forecast is calling for 50* very soon so you have a good chance coming up. Good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Find some place that has a big heated garage to put your boat in for the weekend. Use a fan to blow the warm are on it so it thaws faster.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Find some place that has a big heated garage to put your boat in for the weekend. Use a fan to blow the warm are on it so it thaws faster.
I second that John. I'd definitely try getting all water out ASAP. Wait until temps are above freezing before trying to run pumps. Water probably diluted antifreeze and froze inside pump housing.Temps are supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Guys,
You can buy the stuff that they de-ice planes with in gallon jugs. I don't understand how it works, but it works well!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sniper in the 50's

MUST BE NICE . HOPE IT GETS TO 30 TOMORROW AROUND HERE. HERD THE FLATS ARE FROZEN AND THAT IS 1 HR SOUTH OF ME. HEY BUNGER 79 WHERE YOU AT WITH THAT FROZEN BOX? i MIGHT KNOW A HEATED GARAGE(MINE) BUT THE DOOR IS NOT THAT HIGH. ITS REG. HOUSE GARAGE HEIGHT. JOHN

·
Registered
692 Posts
frozen fish box

The best thing I have found for the frozen fish box is hook up to truck and head south untill unfrozen...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I took Skip's advice and got as much water out as I could. I then used the wife's hair drier and melted the rest. I used the hair drier on my pumps. I then ran a gallon of Anti-Freeze through them. Man did I get lucky they both worked with out any problems. I than took another gallon and dumped it in to the fish boxes so if any other water gets in it will just slush up at most. I want to thank you guys for the good advice. Happy Holidays to all.

Chad

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Now - the important part.Be sure to clean her hair dryer and get it back before she sees it missing :D.

Be sure to double check this spring for leaks on the hoses and pump housing.Never hurts to give the hose clamp a 1/4 turn on the screw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts