Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual is just not clear...

This is first boat ( pro-line 24 super sport) I have had- with Macerator pump on the fish boxes. When I read the manual they say fill fish box with water and use pump to empty it. The fish box does not hold water, it runs out when I add any water . Is there supposed to be plug? or is pump supposed to prevent drainage until it is turned on? ( using cooler for now)

On other boats, I fished we used some water in ice to keep fish, but I was often the one cleaning fish when others were
emptying fish wells and cleaning boat.... let water drain or install plug?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think when it gets plugged with stuff is when you fill it with water.. Like a garbage disposal. I think. Hopefully others will chime in soon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine holds water until pumped out. Could be your pump has failed...they have a pretty short life in affraid.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there is- some sort of shut of valve in pump... ??
Pump does run . Boat has 81 hrs and pump was unused. But that does not mean that it can't be bad.
BTW, Thanks all info is more than I know about it and is helpful!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for replies. I just when down to boat and traced lines running my hand along drain piping. Found a broken section at its lowest point..
It is piped so it would hold some water.. And I can fix with plastic coupling when hardware store opens! All good news..
just a PITA to get to.
I guess some antifreeze is needed in winter..
( I had wondered were the pine tags were getting into bilge)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 25' mako with 3 fish boxes in the floor. They are a pain to clean when you use them! I built a rack to hold my 120qt cooler between the motors and the transom. Works really well and increases the amount of useable space in the boat. Really nice to be able to bring in a fish and go straight to the box like the charters are set up.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kirk, thank you for the comments. I fish often by myself and do love usable Open floor space!
Being a bay fisherman, I did a lot of bottom fishing and did not need immediate access to cooler.
Except for Mac's. ( 30-40 yrs) I like to dump them over the rail into the pail ( ICE)
I always had a cooler - ON floor in back. when fish came to back of boat I flipped lid open with my foot and just flipped fish into cooler. Often letting fish chill down a while before removing hook from its toothy mouth.
I am hoping it will be great to have and use in floor boxes , to open up the "working space" in the back end by removing the cooler and using in-floor "Ice box"
if and when I can get used to using one! I'm still unsure how "easy" it will be to open a in- floor box when working a fish rod in hand.

BTW, To me A under the leaning post cooler Is just about unusable... Except as drink cooler! ( access it just too blocked)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the under the leaning post cooler, it's good for bait and drinks. The set up I have takes the place of the cooler in the floor. If you want to use the in floor boxes with the macerator pump, make sure you have access to the back of the box where the drain is. If the drain is clogged it doesn't matter if you have a macerator or not cause it can't get out of the box. Thaw only thing I don't like about the mako is that the door to the floor boxes is in the middle of the box and the drain is in the back where you can't get to it without getting in the floor. I want to cut an access over the drain for cleaning purposes. The box behind the transom works well offshore because of the size of the fish.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank god for young'uns! My son found 3 different sections that needed replacing!
Hope to try out boxes tomorrow!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Charlie,
I have a wellcraft 23 wa with fish boxes in floor hooked to a macerator,It is apain in the ---.Just wanted to let you know if you can get to pump,mine has a slot in end of motor shaft opposite of pump,you can take a small screwdriver & turn pump if it ever gets clogged up.
sharon lea

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Charlie,
I have a wellcraft 23 wa with fish boxes in floor hooked to a macerator,It is apain in the ---.Just wanted to let you know if you can get to pump,mine has a slot in end of motor shaft opposite of pump,you can take a small screwdriver & turn pump if it ever gets clogged up.
sharon lea
Thank you! The mac-pump is located in area that is pretty easy to access. I have be shocked to to see a boat with easy access to its mechanical systems..
Some of the cleanest wiring I have ever seen! Hats off to pro-line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts