Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you already know this but there has to be a couple of people who have never heard of making fish cakes. I'm allergic to shellfish, but was able to eat them when I was a kid. So I know what I'm missing!! If you love crab cakes then you must make fishcakes. Take a pound of Rockfish (I always use the fat peice of meat up by the head of the fish) and boil in water. After boiling in water take a fork and shred the meat. I swear it starts to look and smell like crab meat!! Take a can of Old Bay and read the side of the can for their recipe for crabcakes. Follow the recipe but use the fish meat in place of the crab meat. After mixing everything just make patties and fry in a little oil or broil. WOW!!! I just make some and they are awesome!! I asked my wife, who can eat crab meat, if there is any difference and she even said that you could fool someone into thinking they were eating a crab cake. You gotta try it. It's very easy.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Check out the recipe for Striper cakes on TF.Click on the small SPECIALITY FISHING at the top of this page.Scroll down 3/4 way until you see recipes.

The secret is using crumbled Ritz crackers.It is a simple/easy recipe that is great :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you get a couple of those big blues in the summer, do the same thing. Crumbled Ritz crackers are a good addition. I served blue cakes next to crab cakes at a dinner last September. No one could tell the difference.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Key to the whole thing is the Ritz they are the truth

Same rules apply with crab and fish fold it easy don't mangle it
I use a prepared horseradish mustard in my mix gives it a kick
Sautee in Butter

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Hope this works.

01-26-2007, 08:28 PM

yardbird

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Incredible Striper Cakes

These are incredible! Taste better than crab cakes! I modified this recipe from a local resturant's award winning crab cake recipe. My family has been enjoying it for over twenty years. Its great with any local catch. Measurements are approximate. I just estimate and ajust oil, crackers and seasoning to taste. Double or triple recipe as desired.

1# fresh or frozen fish (I use striper mainly but sea bass, tile, flounder and tog in any combination will taste great too)
1 egg
tablespoon of Old Bay or eqivalent
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
4 tablespoons olive oil

Poach (Boil) the fish, drain and break up into lumps. Let cool.
In a separate bowl mix egg, oil and Old Bay.
Crush crackers by pushing two ends of sleeve towards each other, carful not to make a mess! Sleeve will open slightly to vent the air and the crackers turn to crumbs instantaneously if you do it right.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Make cakes or small balls and then either broil or fry. If you pan or deep fry, dip in egg wash and then flour or panko crumb. If you broil, drizzle a little more olive oil or melted butter.

Enjoy!

Great - it did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts