Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recipe was posted on the C A Board by Timbo

You could make fish chowder with it. I make it in the Fall usually and everybody loves it!

From the Maryland Seafood Cookbook II:
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans condensed cream of potato soup
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups cooked, flaked fish (flounder, rock, sea trout, etc.)
1 (4 oz can kernel corn, drained
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Dash onion powder
Dash paprika
S & P to taste

Put soup in 3 - qt saucepan; stir in milk.
Add fish, corn, butter, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until well blended and completely heated. DO NOT BOIL. Makes 8 cups.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Yes, rj. Thanks for transferring this chowder recipe. It was in response to somebody's question about how to cook rockfish. I've made it a lot over the years. Everyone who tries it loves it. I digress slightly from the original recipe by adding a whole can of drained, kernel corn (10 1/2 oz I think) and a little more milk than what is called for. Most of the time I use 2% milk (because thats what I mostly have in the house) but I think it tastes better with whole milk as I've made it both ways. Oh and, I always use Campbell's cream of Potato soup. No relation. :D

·
1,295 Posts
Timbo, What the best way to cook the fish for your chowder -baked, steamed, brolied or what ? I had your chowder once and it's good. Just not sure how to make the "cooked" fish.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That's a good point Frank. As the recipe states, the fish must be cooked first. I usually bake it with a very little bit of butter or margarine and S & P but one could also grill it or even microwave it. Its important to fillet the fish properly and even when you're adding it to the chowder to double check for bones.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
:thumbup: I do the same recipe but add about a pound of crumbled fried bacon at the end.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks for posting the recipe RJ. I just made some tonight. Timbo, it sure was good :thumbup:. I used a 10 1/2 oz can of corn as you said. I used way more fish than necessay. I had 3 rockfish steaks vacuum packed together, so I used all of them. I baked them with salt, pepper, and butter as you said. It made the chower nice and chunky. It will fill you up real quick. Boy am I stuff :eatdrink: . Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally made some for myself from some old filets in the freezer, really good & easy to do, like most soups & stews it actually tastes better the second day,,I took Rus's suggestion & added some crumpled bacon, not a whole pound but several slices for some flavor :thumbup:

thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Glad to hear you guys all enjoyed it! I'm going to add some bacon in mine too next time I make it. Oh and by the way, I almost always use about twice as much fish as is called for. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts