Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bunch of these fish eggs came up on the hooks of my deep umbrellas today while trolling mouth of Choptank. Biggest ones were about diameter of a dime or penny. Anybody know what species they are? The grass shrimp, minnows, and mud crabs in my fish tank are doing a good job cleaning them off so we can have a good look at them!

Water Underwater Fin Fish Marine biology

Marine invertebrates Natural material Marine biology Underwater Ingredient

Water Organism Natural material Rock Cloud

Ingredient Natural material Water Dish Cuisine

Ingredient Cloud Dish Cuisine Natural material

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Jason -

I think what you saw were tunicates or sea squirts, a type of invertebrate animal -- not fish eggs. They often are found around clumps of oysters. I occasionally get them on a jighead when working over oyster bottom. When you bring them out of the water, the two siphons shown on the attached web page are not as obvious.

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/critter/sea_squirt

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Jason -

I think what you saw were tunicates or sea squirts, a type of invertebrate animal -- not fish eggs. *They often are found around clumps of oysters. *I occasionally get them on a jighead when working over oyster bottom. *When you bring them out of the water, the two siphons shown on the attached web page are not as obvious.
I agree with Mr Veil.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I too concur with Mr. Viel... sea squirts... and I seem to bring up a few every year while bouncing jigs on the bottom. While taking them off the jig they will sometimes squirt like a grapefruit... right in your eye:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts