Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I have the humminbird 987c. I like the unit but it's annoying to have to switch from GPS to fishfinder and back. You can do the split screen but the viewing area is kind of small that way. Eventually I may end up buying a separate GPS unit, or not, but it would be nice to have one.

BTW- You said you are considering a 5" unit, mine is 7" and I feel the split screen is too small. Something to consider.

-JB

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
After using a flasher and handheld GPS for years, I got an Eagle Sea Charter 502C sonar/GPS combo that is okay. It's very similar to the FishElite 50.. that's currently on sale at BP. I don't mind switching back and forth and I found it pretty intuitive to use, but I have a couple of gripes. One is that despite the claims, it's not waterprooof. After the first fishing trip in the rain it got water inside. I took it apart and put a blow dryer on it. It came back but the sound never worked again. My second gripe is one that might not be limited to this unit but with the Nautipath chip. Land shows up almost exactly the same color as shallow water. To my thinking that should be easily distinguished but only deeper water shows blue. That said, the fishfinder has been superb. I've learned to trust it and it's paid off. -Shawn

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm running a Lowrance LMS-334Ci, color combo unit, added the NauticPatch chip to it and really happy with it after 1 season. Sonar has been very accurate, I just need to learn how to use it better. GPS has been accurate to the slip I was docked in. Went with the internal GPS antenna and shoot-thru-hull transducer so there were very few holes to drill. I think the new model of this unit is the LMS522 this year.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,759 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
last year i put the Lowrance LMS-334Ci on my boat as well and i am very happy with it, but i haven't used any others except old junk i could afford. the sonar does seam very accurate and so does the gps, i had the internal antenna, but had problems with it with th t top. so i switched to the external and been great all last year.
mike

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
i am a huge fan of lowrance(or eagle...same company), but i have heard some horror stories on the combo units from lowrance. my buddy kurt , a lurker, got a new one last year, and has sent it back twicwe to loqwrance for fixits.
ps- make sure the depth finder had at least 300 rms...don't get sucked in on that peak to peak ****. i think most combos DO hasve at least 300 rms(power to transducer). if it says it will read to 1200 feet, then it does have enuff rms to rerad well, even at speed.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Did alot of research and made my decision for my new boat, will be equipped with a Raymarine A65 FF/GPS combo and a Furuno FCV585L...Furuno has a 8.4" color screen and the Raymarine has a 6.5" color screen.....should be good to go....will use the Raymarine as a GPS and FF backup.....boat should be here in a few weeks....!!!!!:D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
Installed the Lowrance 332 combo unit (Christmas present from my better half) last year and love it. I know there are alot of TF'ers who love Garmin but the lowrance units are very nice. GPS was incredibly accurate and the fishfinder color screen is sharp and clear. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
last year i put the Lowrance LMS-334Ci ... i had the internal antenna, but had problems with it with th t top. so i switched to the external and been great all last year.
mike
yea, have the internal antenna under a hardtop is a known issue with these units so opt for an external antenna if you're not open topped. I also found putting a foil lined bag of Cheetos next to the unit will make you lose position too :eek:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,302 Posts
Bob

The Harrisburg Show is going on right now. Usually the Lowrance Reps are there and sometimes you can get them to sell you the demo's at a great discount if you are will to wait a few weeks until they finish their show cycle.

Good luck ........ I love my Lcx111c and Lcx25c and 332c ........

·
Registered
883 Posts
Bought a Lowrance 332 at the Chantilly boat show last year from Boaters World. Great discount and the chip was only $55. Used it about 20 times last year with no problems. Easy to learn and the chart plotter is an amazing tool.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use a Lowrance lcx 26c HD, Lowrance Globalmap 3500, ans a Lowrance lcx 332.
Everything is color (very sharp), and all are very acturate. Lowrance beats most every other manufacture on price, has a good "help desk", and some of the 2007 models are priced lower than the 2006 ones. All very easy to use, plus you can add LowranceNet and Radar.
I have 30 years experience in boating and have ued most every electronic item that came down the line. Lowrance is hard to beat.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Garmin 498C, with external antenna. I find it user friendly and just the right size. Any bigger and I'd feel like I was driving a video game instead of a boat. Course once I lose my 20/20, I might change my mind.
They had those at the Timonium boat show for $449........!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts