Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy a fish finder for the new boat ..

does anybody have any suggestions on what to buy..?

should i get a fish finder and gps as a seperat unit or all in one ..? would like to keep it around 2k or less for both units but i want something nice

Also is there anyplace close to Salisbury Md that sells marine electronics othere thand Gander Mountain?

I want something that is good for tuna fishing , sharking , stripers black drum and wreck fishing

Any input would be appreciated
:help:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
For seperate units
Fish finder =Furuno the best your pocketbook will afford.
GPS/Plotter=Garmin , again the best your pocketbook will allow.

for a combo unit I like Furuno, but I prefer seperate units, I like the large screens, easier for my old eyes to see

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Kinda leaning towards the furuno fcv 585 for the fish finder
:thumbup:
The 585 is the best recreational finder on the market right now. Don't cheap out on the transducer. Get the 1kW if your wallet can afford it.

If you want to g a little cheaper, go with the Furno 620 and take advantage of the rebates on a Garmin 4XXX and 5XXX series plotter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hydro25- What kind of boat is it? Length, etc? Do you have room for two units? Flush mount or mounted on brackets? All questions that would help me and others make a recommendation. Thanks and please advise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Seahunter whats the deal with the 1kw transducer for the furuno and do u know where there is a local dealer for that unit relative to me , i am in pocomoke md ..

Ddirks i have 24 proline center console , no room to flush mount anything so i have to mount on top of console , have all the room i would ever need up there..

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Hey Seahunter whats the deal with the 1kw transducer for the furuno and do u know where there is a local dealer for that unit relative to me , i am in pocomoke md ..
The 1kW transducers use multi- elements arrays instead of a single element like they do with the 600W transducers. This makes the transducers up to 16 times more sensitive @ 200 kHz and up to 50 times more sensitive @ 50 kHz than your OEM transducers. The 585 is a 1 kW unit so you might as well take advantage of the power.

Here is some comparison information - 1kW vs. 600w
http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/High Performance Comparison.pdf

The closest dealer to you would be Mid-Shore Electronics in Ocean City. The other would be By Owner Electronics on Kent Island. Furuno's East Coast service center is in Denton, MD

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Seahunter, think i am going to go to West OC tonight and take a look at this furuno unit with the 1kx transducer , seems to be the best unit for the money..

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Furuno 585 is great (just installed one with a thru-hull transducer last year), but it's a relatively big unit to mount with the bracket and might seem a little large on the console. Depends on your lay-out. I would definitely recommend going with separate units if you have the room. If you go offshore you'll want to be looking at both on full screen all the time and won't want to constantly be pressing buttons to toggle back and forth. If it's in your budget, I'd recommend the Furuno 585 depth finder as a separate unit, and then a stand-alone GPS/chart plotter with the good maps. Garmin works well for me, but they're all good. Keep in mind that you may want to remove the units while you're not on the boat, so ease of plug-in/out and removal is a consideration, as well. Good fishing!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Another vote for Garmin Chart Plotter, I've had it for a few years and very happy. Had to work with Garmin service for a firmware problem the first year, was handled very quickly and professionally.
- Shout

1 - 14 of 14 Posts