Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in putting a fish finder on my Tarpon 100 and don't have any experience regarding useage -

I'm working on about a $100 budget for the 'head unit' and figure that I'll spend additional $ getting stuff for install & power.

Can anyone provide me some comparison / pros & cons on going with:

Eagle Cuda versus Humminbird Piranhamax models ?

Right now, I'm leaning toward a Humminbird Piranhamax 170 but don't really have any experience w/ Humminbird products or fishfinders in kayaks -

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately...

the board has removed search privileges for non-subscribers --

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if someone ponies up some new opinions on the topic

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have the finder/gps combo...i think it's the 250. gps for navigation isnt really important for me, but i do like having the features that come with it being speed, time, distance traveled, saved points, etc

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Im looking at one to now. Im pretty sure my hummingbird is TOAST!!!!
Im looking into the garmins now. might get a gps combo.

·
Registered
707 Posts
well then... I have the pirahnamax older model- 20 maybe with the dual beam . it was around $90-100 and I really like it.

kayakfishingstuff.com has a small battery, charger setup for pretty cheap.

mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm interested in putting a fish finder on my Tarpon 100 and don't have any experience regarding useage -

I'm working on about a $100 budget for the 'head unit' and figure that I'll spend additional $ getting stuff for install & power.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a Humminbird Piranhamax 170 but don't really have any experience w/ Humminbird products or fishfinders in kayaks -
Ive installed about 25 so far this year and the large majority have been the hummingbird 150's and 170's. They have realy bright and sharp screen. The light can be dimmed rather then just on/off. We have no problems with the any of them. If you go black and white you can use simple 10aa battery pack in a dry box. If you go color or gps/FF combo you need a gel cell. Always mount them on a small RAM for a variety of advantages.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I had the Parahana max to

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested in putting a fish finder on my Tarpon 100 and don't have any experience regarding usage -

I'm working on about a $100 budget for the 'head unit' and figure that I'll spend an additional $ getting stuff for install & power.

Can anyone provide me some comparison/pros & cons on going with:

Eagle Cuda versus Humminbird Piranhamax models?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I am using this for a helix seven mounted on predator 13 (Kayak). It works great, it was made for the helix 7, so there was no having to figure out a mounting solution as I did with much other stuff on my kayak. This thing, like all RAM Mounts, hold what you need to save and do it well. It's made out of metal, looks to be a 1/4 20 bolt attached to the tension knob. It's pretty hefty, which is good because I don't want my fish finder anywhere other than in my boat.

The mount is easy and quick to install or remove before or after use. On the water, the mount holds the unit very rigidly, i.e., it does not shake or shift when on-plane or in rough waters because of the rubber ball. With that, you do not need to tighten the clamp as much as you may think for it not to move. So far, driving 75-plus miles per hour or cutting three-foot rollers has not shifted or slipped the mounted unit.

I've used several RAM Mounts over the years, and they continue to perform well for me. Even if you don't NEED it, I'd recommend getting one for the ability to fine-tune your viewing angle. Also, you will get aware of the fishfinder and how it works.

Here is a good site that gives some info on different makes.

Thanks

Reference: http://fishvantage.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts