Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at a Lowrance Mark 5x DSI featuring what they call "Down Scan Imaging" and was wondering if anyone has any positive, or negative experiences with this particular model.
Of course I would be interested in the consensus of what the board feels is the best bang for the buck, especially when it comes to reliability.
I'm afraid a good Furuno is beyond my reach.
Thanks in advance.

Dick.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Make your selection based on your needs and your ability to use and understand the equipment so you can maxamize your use . Go to all your dealears that have displays and pick they brains on every function and make YOUR choice.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
some of the same features available on the side scan machines and some of the same features too. One of the best features is using the track-back and setting waypoints,hmmmm, maybe a hi def gps fishfinder is a better deal ?
Check around, determine your needs, do you fish in a lot of different areas with the need for GPS too ?
A lot of info needed to decide what is best for you.
Anyway, for my money, Lowrance is the way to go.
Wen

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just went through the exercise. Been with Lowrance and raymarine in the past.Looked at those again. Furuno too pricey..pulled the trigger onthe Hummingbird 596c HD DI this time....looks like a nice unit with killer features at a good price. reviews from users are all very positive. 1st time with a hummingbird.....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have a garmin and suggest you don't. For the money the garmin is like a fisher price toy instead of a quality bottom machine. Humminbird or Lowrance HDS is the way to go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am in the homework stage myself now to replace an 11 yr old Garmin unit.
I am really excited about the side/structure scan (add-on) capability of the Lowrance HDS units, assuming the fishfinding capabilities are waht they appear to be, but the models you linked to above (ste6168) look pretty nice too, especially price-wise if structure scan isn't in your requirements.
The Furuno 585 is in the ball park of the HDS, but it appears to be a sounder only - no GPS.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The Furuno 585 is in the ball park of the HDS, but it appears to be a sounder only - no GPS.
Yes, the ageless Furuno 585 is a sonar only model. It's been around for a long time. A bit on the pricey side at $1200 (plus the cost of a transducer), but still an excellent sonar. And you never have to worry about software updates!

But you get so much more for your money with today's modern technology MFD units!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts