Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a finder in the $400 price range. Spent the afternoon a BPS, but having a hard time deciding -- not a big fan of color displays. Boat will usually be in the upper and middle Bay.

Thanks!!!

dwk

·
Registered
146 Posts
dwkoller
I wasn't a big fan of color display fishfinders either, however I had a budget limit of $300 and in that range the mono finders were not very impressive. I have a 19' Mako and size was also a concern. I purchased a Ray DS400X at Boater's World in White Marsh. It,s compact, easy to see in bright light or night, shows the bottom and fish well. It does lose the bottom sometimes while up on plane but finds it again shortly. Not sure if it's the turbulence from the prop, boat bottom or just what. It comes with a triducer for sonar, surface temp and speed. The speed is not always correct, especially at low or trolliing speeds, according to my gps. All in all I'm happy with it. Good Luck John

·
Registered
129 Posts
I picked up the Lowrance 68 with the combo GPS and Sonar for $400 last year and couldn't be happier for the price and performance. I never thought I would be using the mapping so much but it has helped. The sonar capabilities are fine for the bay with plenty of detail.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]dwkoller originally wrote:
Looking for a finder in the $400 price range. Spent the afternoon a BPS, but having a hard time deciding -- not a big fan of color displays. Boat will usually be in the upper and middle Bay.

Thanks!!!

dwk
[/Q]
Look at the Garmin 240 Blue. It's made for saltwater application (versus the plain 240 is for freshwater). The display has good resolution and it is very user friendly. Garmin has customer service that is next to none!! [excited]

I have a small Garmin unit on my kayak that I took off my big boat after using it as a backup for about three years. I had a problem last week in that it would show temperature, but not depth. I called Gamin and spoke with the technician and he said he was sure it is the transducer that went bad (cost to buy new is $80 as I thought about doing that and switching the control head back and forth).

He asked me for my address. A new one arrived in the mail last night - NO CHARGE! Remember it's three years old !!!

Good company to deal with..........hands down. [excited][excited]

·
Registered
23 Posts
My preference is a lowrance. I have had lowrance products for about 8 years and never once have I been disappointed. My advice is to get one with the highest power that you can afford. More power means better target seperation. Any pixel count over 240 V is sufficient for applications in the bay. Also, I would get one with the combo gps. If you don't have a gps, you don't know what you are missing.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts