Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While chumming for rock fish last Friday on the channel edge across from bouy 68, I had a vicious hit by what I thought was surely a big rock. Then it came to the top and came clean out of the water (twice), and I saw a long silvery fish of about 36" with what I think was a split tail. It reminded me of a king mackeral, but when it came out of the water, it had a pretty good bend in its body which I'm not sure a king would do. I think it was much too big to be a spanish, and it most definitely was not a bluefish. The fish then dove deep and as I worked it up to the boat it cut the line before I could get another look at it. The line was frayed to indicate teeth.

Could it have possibly have been a barracuda? It kinda resembled one of them too.

Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
702 Posts
check on the MD board, they had a picture of a hound fish, resembles a garr, that was caught up north in the potomac. i know i was at the reef 2 years ago, and saw one of those caught there.

pepsi man

·
Registered
573 Posts
BY,
I think Pepsi Man nailed it. I have only seen one houndfish, which I caught while chumming for bluefish. The fish jumped out of the water several times before we landed it. It was about 4 feet long and slender. Since I didn't know what I had caught and it was raising a ruckus by flopping around on the deck, I decided to release it. Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures, but you can find pictures on the VMRC web site: http://www.mrc.state.va.us/vswft/Angler_Guide_web_guide.pdf.
I had the booklet and was able to identify the fish from this reference. The VMRC site states that the average size is 3 - 6 pounds with a maximum of 10 pounds. I probably didn't release a record fish , but it was definitely bigger than the average indicated by VMRC. I have noticed that some Tidalfish anglers in the lower Bay target houndfish on light tackle, so they may be more common farther south.
Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep,

I think houndfish it definitely was. The silvery slender body in the picture in Nancy Lewis' post is definitely what I saw. That is a new species for me to have encountered for sure. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's another one to see if we can figure out. I was fishing the Rappahannock about a month and a half ago out from Garrett's Marina. While croaker fishing, I caught 6 fish, all being about 7 inches long that had a head looking like a fresh water trout, two white whiskers over an inch long under it's mouth, the back fin ran all the way down like a bowfin and it had white spots down the lateral line. I didn't notice any teeth. I fished in the same spot many times last year and never caught any of these. I tried to figure it out on my own and the closest thing I could find was the spotted hake. I don't know if thay are in the river. Help me out guys.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts

Based on your description I'd lay money down on "Spotted Hake".

Not a rare fish at all they are seen in good numbers every year. We even Catch them up in Solomons sometimes.

Edit: I didn't even read your last line before I went searching for a picture... :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's definately the fish we caught. Thanks for the help guys. It drives me crazy when I catch a fish and don't know what it is. I moved here from the mountains and have only been fishing salt water a little over 2 years. I'm sure there will be more that I can't ID since I'm getting out into the bay sometimes now. Thanks again for your help.

Crow Bait - the fish looked exactly like the first picture in your second post. Thanks for your help bud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I caught one of those hakes while fishing outside Oyster(Barrier Islands) in one of the channels. I did not know what it was until now. It had the long wisker like a catfish. It was only around 8". This site is so educational. [smile]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
[Q]sauntek originally wrote:
I caught one of those hakes while fishing outside Oyster(Barrier Islands) in one of the channels. I did not know what it was until now. It had the long wisker like a catfish. It was only around 8". This site is so educational. [smile]
[/Q]

One day ....you will be an "old salt".......giving advice on the board..........life is funny in that way[wink]

Tony

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
[Q]DocSavageJr originally wrote:
Does anyone know if they are good to eat?
[/Q]

People eat them, but they're normally not big enough to fool with. They are a member of the Cod/ling family and I'm sure are pretty tasty. Another species that is more frequently eaten, because they get larger is the Red Hake. I've caught them wreck fishing before but never in the bay like Spotted Hake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I caught the spotted hake at Cape Henry two weeks ago. Looks like they're all over the place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts