Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still a newbie to saltwater fishing and caught this fish from my pier around sunset tonight on a Li'l bunker lure. I have not caught this type of fish to date and it weighed about one pound (was fairly thick) and actually fought very well for its size. The tail is different than the standard perch, croaker, spot, etc. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am still a newbie to saltwater fishing and caught this fish from my pier around sunset tonight on a Li'l bunker lure. I have not caught this type of fish to date and it weighed about one pound (was fairly thick) and actually fought very well for its size. The tail is different than the standard perch, croaker, spot, etc. Any help is appreciated.
Not the best at this but pretty sure it's a gizzard shad.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you could see a long filament from the dorsal fin then its def a Gizzard, like in this pic below. (cant tell from your pic)

Caught this one last week on a small lure on the eastern shore side (MD)

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Whitty,

Gizzard Shad has my vote. See the attached pic from internet. It seems to be a perfect match to your catch. Your picture was very good.

We've been doing a lot of fish id'ing this year on behalf of our support to the Special Angler catch-and-release tournament. You ought to consider submitting this catch to their Open Division.

Vertebrate Fin Fish Ray-finned fish Fish products

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mud/Gizzard shad. Good luck getting the stench off your hands. You can hear them making loud splashes in creeks usually at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts