Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeling guilty for skipping out on work today (there is so much **** you have to deal with after you retire). Out of SPSP at 10:30 and as I cleared the breakwater I saw two men waving their arms, ran over to check on them, there engine died and they had been drifting for a while, They were happy to see me as a few boat just ran past them without a second look. They were only two hundred yards out from SP. Took their tow line and started back to the park, just outside of the brake water they raised their outboard which caused their boat to veer to the side heading for the no wake pole. A little throttle pulled then back in my wake. PLEASE PUT YOUR MOTOR BACK DOWN!! Smooth sailing to the ramp from then on. Back to the bay for some fishing and see if I have earned some good karma. On the second cast hooked up with a keeper, then setup for a second drift and a very frisky 24”. On the way back to SPSP, I see great marks on the sounder and have to give it a try. I change to a little bunker 1oz. to bounce the bottom, it takes a few passes before I hook , and it’s a big fish and its taking line (my reel only has a 9lb.drag max) Its back and forth on who is ahead, the fish circles the boat one and a half times before I start to make headway. Now at last I have the fish at the boat only to have it do a head shake and dive, I think it’s tired and that was its last run, I can bring the fish up slowly to the surface, in the net, in the boat, picture, and back in the water. Well that was my plan, not the fishes. His plan was to come to the boat with no fight and at the last minute turn and run fast. I now have a two piece rod and the fish has the bigger piece. The good news is: the fish is still on and comes to the boat without a fight. I lip the fish and remove the hook with him in the water, and after some back and forth to move water over his gills I get a tail splash and he departs. This fish was fat and not a mark on him, I think he is over 28” maybe 30”+ . I hope someone someday has as much fun with this fish as I did!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Nice work today. I love to see people releasing those big healthy fish. What kind of rod did you break? Any pictures of the fish?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NRGarrott, The rod was a Pflueger President not a expensive rod but one I like. I made the mistake of holding the spool to stop a run out of line. In the past I have landed much larger fish with this rod, with no problem. I do have pictures of this fish (not very good ones). Wood like to post pictures on TF but don't know how. Can you or someone direct to the how-to photo site?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Very kind of you to help the other boater. You were rewarded with some good fish...too bad about your rod. Nice report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts