Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100,000 fish killed in Middle River in eastern Middle River of Baltimore County; caused by, you guessed it by an algae; it was witnessed by Scott Sewell, a part time fishing guide. Excessive levels of nitrogen and phosphorous can lead to this fish killing algae. This algae can be caused by an overdose of those nutrients from wastewater treatment plants, rainfall washing fertilizer, animal waste and other pollutants from runoff of farmlands, lawns, streets, and parking lots. The Baltimore County is expected to repeal storm water fees levied on property owners; the fees are a WHOPPING 14$ to 26$ a year. Here in St. Mary's county I and others pay a Flush Tax of 60$ a year brought to you by Ehrlich's administration and a tax I don't mind paying, these taxes go to a fund to upgrade failing polluting septic systems. Gov. Hoagie claims he'll be the greatest environmental governor ever in Maryland; what a joke!; as he ran on the premise of ridding the so called Rain Tax. Wow, a whopping 14$ to 26$ tax is going to kill Marylander???s, but in the long run it would have aided in the cleanup of the Bay. Hopefully, the Democratic legislature won't let this dude destroy the Bay as we saw on the first day of his administration, he tried to nix environmental regulations to protect the Bay. He changed his tune real fast when the legislature threatened to overturn his anti Bay stance. I seriously doubt if he has ever fished or crabbed in the Bay and its tributaries. Be vigilant Bay lovers of his future policies!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
In this particular case, there are other possible causes not related to an algae bloom being explored. I walked the shoreline from Wilson Point to the back of Martin Lagoon today. Water clarity was five feet and I saw every local species represented, decaying on the bottom. Some areas had hundreds of dead fish in tight pockets. Talking to others there, the conditions are the same in Dark Head Creek almost to Eastern Ave. When the decaying gases bring them off the bottom, everyone will see if 100,000 is a reasonable estimate.

There were a few people attempting to fish. Some were unaware of the DNR statements on the kill. I recommended a few other locations for them to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Should be interesting if something other than algae is to blame.

Read reports that Carp had died - it takes a lot to kill those fish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, me to Jerry. I will probably write off the middle river for the whole winter season. I hope this doesn't impact surrounding rivers. VERY BAD NEWS!

·
Registered
822 Posts
my dad had over 2 gallons of minnows he trapped for perching & they all died. its a shame because the cold months fishery in this river is done

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm with you . I cringe every time I hear it called the rain tax. Run off is a huge problem. MD has been using harvested reduction to the extreme and it doesn't make the bay any healthier. The state's official position is "after a 1/2 inch or greater rain event do not let the waters of the Chesapeake bay contact your skin". Who thinks that is acceptable ?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
100,000 fish killed in Middle River in eastern Middle River of Baltimore County; caused by, you guessed it by an algae; it was witnessed by Scott Sewell, a part time fishing guide. Excessive levels of nitrogen and phosphorous can lead to this fish killing algae. This algae can be caused by an overdose of those nutrients from wastewater treatment plants, rainfall washing fertilizer, animal waste and other pollutants from runoff of farmlands, lawns, streets, and parking lots. The Baltimore County is expected to repeal storm water fees levied on property owners; the fees are a WHOPPING 14$ to 26$ a year. Here in St. Mary's county I and others pay a Flush Tax of 60$ a year brought to you by Ehrlich's administration and a tax I don't mind paying, these taxes go to a fund to upgrade failing polluting septic systems. Gov. Hoagie claims he'll be the greatest environmental governor ever in Maryland; what a joke!; as he ran on the premise of ridding the so called Rain Tax. Wow, a whopping 14$ to 26$ tax is going to kill Marylander???s, but in the long run it would have aided in the cleanup of the Bay. Hopefully, the Democratic legislature won't let this dude destroy the Bay as we saw on the first day of his administration, he tried to nix environmental regulations to protect the Bay. He changed his tune real fast when the legislature threatened to overturn his anti Bay stance. I seriously doubt if he has ever fished or crabbed in the Bay and its tributaries. Be vigilant Bay lovers of his future policies!!!!!!!!
Yes and after O'malley did such a great job during his 8 year tenure. We should remember that the Democrats have had overwhelming control of state politics for over 80 years over seeing the bays decline. . "Kudos to Them" the only thing worse than a Repulican is a Democrat and vice versa. Get rid of the entrenched pols of both parties and move on.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
It's hard to have 5' of clarity and still have an algae related fish kill going on at the same time and place. This time of year, most likely something besides fertilizer washed into the river... maybe some sort of deadly chemical got into the river.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
It's hard to have 5' of clarity and still have an algae related fish kill going on at the same time and place. This time of year, most likely something besides fertilizer washed into the river... maybe some sort of deadly chemical got into the river.
I agree with HJS, as usual.....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Last Saturday (11/7) Bear Creek had huge ribbons of red gunk all through it and Monday 11/9 it was as clear as I've ever seen it. Could easily see bottom in 8 feet. That is the quickest cleanup of that red stuff I've ever seen. Maybe Middle River experienced something like that? No fish kill in Bear Creek to speak of.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Saw a video on FaceBook posted by a guy that beached their boat back in the cove around North American Electric. He found a drainage pipe coming from Lockheed Martin that jumped over the silt fence and drained right into the creek. He seemed to think it may have been some kind of chemical spill that came from Lockheed through that pipe.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
If it is a chemical spill, which makes most sense, it should not be hard to identify............if they want to. SAD.................Gary

·
Registered
892 Posts
Willing to bet was not an algae bloom way up in the river at this time of year. Hard to believe it's anything other than some chemical spill. And if that's the case only a few possibilities. Would be surprised if we find out the reason. Pretty sure this will just "go away". Terrible. Lots of people fish that area including myself. It's done for this year for sure and will be impacted for quite a while.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The OP was quick to jump on politics. I have to wonder if he was crying when he was typing. Being soo passionate maybe he can go over to Lockheed and ask them what the heck happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't believe it's the alge they are cleaning up the toxic soil around Martins Marietta and it rained recently and the exposed toxins ran in to the river

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.