Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As this is only my 3rd trophy season I'm still learning like crazy.

The question is have you noticed that like sized trophy fish tend to congregate together like the schooly fish

I guess the question is if you catch 2-3 say 37-38" fish in an area you circled - should you move on looking for a different class of fish

Or is it more find the bait / find the trophy fish in the spring?

I think it was Lenny Rudows book I read where he called the spring trophy season more of "collision" fishing as opposed to the resident fish

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
I tend to think the bigger Rock travel in loose groups in spring - not a tight school. Some refer to it as waves of fish - some move through an area - then others fill in behind them.

There will be times when you get 2-3 on at same time but for most part , it is a one at a time type fishing.

I do circle an area where I get a hit or see a lot of bait. Early on - I tend to move north if I lose the fish. Later I'll try south - on theory they are moving down the bay.

I have noticed they do travel along a certain depth contour but it changes day to day. I'm more interested in depth and which side of channel friends are catching then in exact location.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Waves of Spring fish are not all exactly the same size. If you are catching 36"-40" fish, you are doing something right, and are just as likely to hit a 35" fish or a 44" fish around them. I would be trying to stay with them, not get away from them.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Most of the fish I catch in spring are between 36-40". Guess there will be alot of release'n go'n on. I think they got the slot backwards.............but what do I know.....................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts