Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out today working north of the bridge when on of the four rods went down with a bit hit. Partner grabbed the rod and started to land the fish when he put to much pressure on the line and it parted with the fish and a set of green tandems. Goodby fish and gear. Lo and behold, we get a hit on the second rod which goes over hard. Grabbed the rod and started to fight the fish to the boat and find that the first set of tandems still had the fish on and had been caught by the second set of lures. Fought the fish and gear to the side of the boat and netted a nice 38" male still squirting. After a pix or two he went back and will live to be caught another day. I've heard of once in a lifetime events like that but it's my first time to have something like that happen. Good day on the water. Saw only one other fish caught and go back. Back at SPSP it sounded like a lot of releases of slot fish.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Reminds me of the time Skip lost his sunglasses only to find them snagged on one of his lines he had been trolling for hours.

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
It does happen now / then.

Besides catching my sunglasses - I had a wire line outfit 100 ' break ( Monel does that some times ) with umbrella. The 200 tandem caught the umbrella - got it and fish back.

Off Ocean City - charter captain handed down a 50 International from bridge with Tuna on it. Angler had just applied sun screen - slippery hands lost the $$$$$ outfit overboard. Luckily - another rig caught the line - rod / reel and Tuna were brought in.

Off Point Look Out - guy lost rod / reel to big Bluefish. Later in day - reels in a Blue with hook in it's jaw , sure enough - line lead to earlier lost rig.

Congrats on a lucky catch ( recatch ? ) - crazy stuff happens on the water.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caught a 46" that way but it wasn't our gear. Kept the Alien tandem lures for good luck after cutting away everything else. What a birds nest that was.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The sunglasses still amaze me. We trolled for over four hours after they went overboard. As the rig got brought in we thought it was debris not sunglasses. We almost shook them off the line.

I was fishing in a tournement years back. It was the year live lining was off the hook at gum thickets. I was ltj that day and we went up that way chasing birds. We got up towards matapeake that day and as we are jigging a surf rod floats by. We grab it and I'll be darned if the guy that grabbed it didn't say we were prop wrapped. Within a minute he had decide that we had a fish on and seconds later we broke him off. Still caught a penn slammer coupled with a St. Croix surf rod. Nice outfit. The sun shines on a dog ass every now and again.

-E

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Best I can come to that is croaker fishing. Back around 1998 fishing so Had my penn z87 on an 7 ft ugly stick that got me thru college (I retired all my Mitchell's by then) baited with peeler on the south cut of James is. Horse croaker hits the leaning rod (not in rod holder but pinned on Bimini frame) and it goes airborne. I grab bucktail and try to snag it to no avail had it and missed it once. Give up. Keep croakin. 20 min or so start jiggin again feel a bump up comes my rod and a huge hard head. Rod ended up in tangier several yrs later but that's different story.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a good one from this weekend...

On Saturday I was out with my family and my 12 year old son had a big one on the line with a white bloody point tandem 3/5oz. He was really struggling to get it in, even more than he did with the 46 incher he caught last spring... so we were sure it was a BIG fish. It surfaced 80 feet or so from the boat but then went deep close to the boat and the hi-vis 50 pound mono mainline snapped when fish was 20' from the boat - turned out to be a chip in the rod tip guide.

Sunday we fished the same area and when we headed out to channel I changed my 6-bar with 32oz deep rod to 8 bars when I saw some really deep marks out there. I forgot to change it back to 6 bars when we went back to 35' and we hit a set of waves that slowed the boat down dramatically as we crossed the way point where we hooked the big fish Saturday. A few minutes later l noticed that the deep rod was bent more than usual and I reeled it in. Up it came with a white bloody point tandem tangled in the umbrella.

At first I assumed it was from one of the board rods which we had just cleared and reset. But all the rods looked normal. So then I thought wow, I just snagged a nice new looking tandem that someone lost. I took a closer look and saw my handwriting on each head which indicates the weight of the heads, 3 and 5. Wait, this IS my tandem, but I looked in my spread book and saw there are no 3/5's in my spread any more, I replaced the one white 3/5 with a 2/6 on Saturday. Then I noticed that there was 20 feet of hi-vis mono still on it and figured out what had just happened. Couldn't hardly believe it. I was happy to have my $30 tandem back, but would have been even happier if the BIG fish still had the lure in it's mouth when I snagged it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was chumming at podickory point 15 years ago and pulped up a line hooked to my line. As I began to pull the linen I noticed there was weight on the end. At one end was a cheap spinning rod and on the other side was a 24" rockfish still alive! In the box he went!

·
Registered
46 Posts
About 8 years ago a buddy and i were cruising to a fishing hole on the elk river when his sweatpants with his wallet in them flew out of the boat. A month later me and the same buddy were fishing the channel edge at the mouth of Cabin john when he got a phone call that his pants with wallet were found. they were found washed up on the beach in Cabin John with his wallet and everything in it still in the sweat pants. We could see the people calling us from where we were fishing. Crazy!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a hit on a middle board rod, went to grab the rod and another rod directly behind it got snagged and popped out of the rod holder into the drink. I have 4 rod holders on my railing. After I landed the fish I was fighting I noticed the planer line running funny, so I started to clear that side and lo and behold the lost rod's line was hanging on the clip of another line, so I carefully pulled it closer and closer and retrieved my rod, reel and gear. Went to Don's house that night to have that reel broken down, dried, re-lubed and put back together.
2 yrs ago I was LL'ing at the bridge and asked my son to deploy the anchor, well he let it all out, so we jigged for about a half hour to snag my anchor rope and retrieve my anchor.
Fun Times

1 - 11 of 11 Posts